Stealth Bomber model

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 10 months

I'm hoping someone out there has a better memory than me. The photo below is of a 1/72nd model of the B-2 produced before the full details of the B-2 were released to the public. Thus, it is somewhat speculative and only vaguely approximates to a real B-2.

I remember seeing these models for sale at the time, but can't for the life of me now recall who made these kits. Any information would be much appreciated. I assume these were pulled from the shelves and a more accurate model produced after the B-2 was unveiled to the public.

Original post

Member for

15 years 8 months

I remember buying a stealth fighter one by Italeri - also nothing like:eek:

Member for

20 years 10 months

XM692,

That's superb, thanks. I knew someone on here would know the answer, and I can't believe it took as long as 43 minutes! :) Seriously though, thanks very much for the quick answer which has put me out of my misery.

Member for

19 years 8 months

For those of you too young to remember when "Guess what the stealth aircraft look like" was an international pastime played by authors and model companies as well as curious enthusiasts.

IIRC, all that was known at the time was the ATB (that became the B-2) had a wing outline similar to the space shuttle and would be an all wing aircraft.
Bill Sweetman's 1986 book Stealth Aircraft had some drawings and cutaways very similar to the Revell model.

Member for

20 years 4 months

Was'nt the distributer for the US revell F19 stealth fighter kit arrested by the FBI as they 'claimed' they had attained classified information on it's design?

But it all turned out to be a diversion when the F117 was unvailed to the word in those blurry photo's in the 1990's?

curlyboy

Member for

19 years 8 months

Was'nt the distributer for the US revell F19 stealth fighter kit arrested by the FBI as they 'claimed' they had attained classified information on it's design?

curlyboy

No one was arrested. I do recall they were asked where they got their design data. All the publicity made the kit a huge seller, it's the only time I recall a model kit making news.

The original Testors (not Revell) "F-19" kit was based on the same guesses that brought forth the Revell bomber kit, lots of curves.

Attachments

Member for

20 years 10 months

Ian,

These threads on a modelling forum might be of interest also...

Indeed they are, thanks. Very interesting background information there.

Member for

16 years 1 month

curlyboy

I remember a story from many years ago about the KGB wanting to know how Airfix obtained details of the undercarriage of one of their aircraft, which had been modelled. Although photographs had appeared of the aeroplane in the air, no pictures had been available of it on the ground. Airfix's answer was that they had used past experience of the manufacturer (can't remember which - MiG?) and designed what they thought appropriate - which by all accounts was pretty accurate - or so the story went.