Woods-Scawen Brothers

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 6 months

Hello Chaps,
Hope you can help me on this, I am looking the code letter and serial numbers of the Hawker Hurricanes that Anthony and Patrick Woods-Scawen used during the Battle of Britain.

I have this information but those Hurricanes were used before the Battle.
FT-C L1592 No 43 Squadron On June 1st, 1940 damaged a Bf109 but was hit by return fire, Pilot Officer Anthony Woods-Scawen unhurt.
VY-P N2319 No 85 Squadron On May 17th, 1940 shot down by Bf109, F/Lt Patrick Woods-Scawen baled out unhurt.

If you have pictures or more information please share with me.
Thanks in advance.

Original post

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hi RAF pilot ... I'm sure they must be listed in the book "Battle of Britain Then and Now". There is also another book called "Battle Over Britain" where all the casualties and their aircraft are also listed. I remember reading about the brothers so I shall have a look and see if I can find different numbers.
Cheers
Canaris. :)

Member for

15 years 10 months

Here is some of the info you require. P/O CA Woods Scawen KIA Mon 2/9/40. Hurricane V7420.

F/O PP Woods Scawen KIA Sunday 1/9/40. Hurricane P3150.

I'm afraid thats all the info I have. Good luck with your research !!

Member for

18 years 7 months

I know this is a long shot but a prominent Midlands business personality is Brian Woods-Scawen of PricewaterhouseCoopers - he used to be their chairman. I would be surprised if he wasn't related and might be able to help. You might track him down through PWC Birmingham or Advantage West Midlands where I think he was also chairman.

Long shot I know, and probably a waste of your time.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Charles Anthony Woods-Scawen

Hello Canaris and RedRedWine, thank you for your answers.
These are the serial numbers for Charles Anthony Woods-Scawen's Hurricanes (No 43 Squadron):
P3214
R4102
R4107
N2521
N2621
V7420
L1726
N2521

Maybe someone in this forum has the code letter. I am still looking for Patrick Philip Woods-Scawen (No 85 Squadron).
Thanks in advance.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Hurricane R4107

Finally! I found that Hurricane R4107 is FT-B according with this book "Czech in RAF Squadrons of World War Two" by Zedenek Hurt.
The picture was taken on March 1941 so do not know if the individual code letter "B" was changed but at the end is a step ahead :)

Attachments

Member for

17 years 6 months

Woods-Scawen Brothers Hurricanes

Hello Chaps,
This is all what I have. Hope somebody can help me.
Hurricane R4107 FT-B and N2621 FT-U are not confirmed.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Member for

17 years 6 months

Thank you!

Thanks for your answer, I live in Mexico so I have some limits for my search, I know about the Woods-Scawen Brother's cousin, he was with Tony and Patrick's father the day when he received the DFC for his boys, also Una Lawrence was with them.
Gerald Woods-Scawen was shot down on October 3rd, 1941, Spitfire AB779 QJ-E.

Best Regards.