Mepal airfield

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 1 month

hi i am looking for information on the old Mepal airfield .i am looking for old pics and memories from anybody who has information on the airfield, the New Zealand 75th sqd the 49th sqd, 113 sqd or the 44th sqd who all operated from Mepal any information would be welcome or indeed old pics of mepal itself you can email at [email]phil079800@aol.com[/email] if you prefer
when i work out the site i will post some of the pics i have
thanks phil

Original post

Member for

14 years 1 month

hi thanks for these has anybody got any info on these pics or can supply any other details on the mepal airfield or the squadrons based their
come on guys dont let me down any info please share

Member for

20 years 1 month

The question might turn out to be superfluous, but do you know Harry Yates' "Luck and a Lancaster"?

Member for

14 years 1 month

no not aware of this has anybody a copy of this that i may be able to purchase
thanks for the help

Member for

18 years

I stayed in a cottage near former RAF Mepal 2 weeks ago. I took a picture of the memorial and wondered how 3 Group got a motto in Dutch language (Niet zonder arbijt/Nothing without labour). Can anyone shed a light on this?

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii264/AVAVNL/FL%202010/20100714086.jpg

Member for

18 years

Thanks. It's a small world!!

Member for

14 years 1 month

from the 29th april to may 8th 1945 operation manna was launched from mepal which involved 126 sorties to drop supplies to the dutch people in western holland a truce was arranged with a german commander, lancasters from 1,3 and 8 started with 6,672 tonnes of supplies were dropped to the dutch people

Member for

18 years

Dutch Children still learn about Operation Manna at the primary schools.

I visited the RAF Witchford visitor Centre. There's also an information panel about Operation Manna. A lot of local airfields were involved.

Member for

13 years

Operation Manna

My dad took part in some of these ops. After flying on the last operational sorties that 75 Sqn completed he wrote "The very next day we were engaged in practice supply dropping. Rumours had been going around that the Germans were about to pack it in and this was shown by the lack of defence on our last trip. We were told that we would be dropping supplies to the Dutch from low level and that the Germans had agreed not to shoot at us, provided we kept to designated lanes. On the 30 April we took off at 4.50pm with our bomb bays full of supplies and dropped them (just by opening the bomb doors) at the racecourse at Rotterdam. It was nice to see the Dutch waving madly and some of them running around in the dropping zone where they were likely to get killed as the bags of flour etc would have done them in for sure. The Germans did not wave and we understood that there had been a few rounds let off at some of the aircraft. On the 2nd of May we did this again but this time we dropped the supplies on a large clear area at Delft near The Hague. In flying on these two trips at low level over Holland we could see very clearly the results of the bombings that had breached the dykes - done to make life difficult for the occupying German forces. Of course it made life difficult for everybody and was probably one of the reasons why the Dutch were very short of food. I took some photos on these (and also on some of the daylight bombing raids) which was very naughty as we were not supposed to have cameras on board.)"

Member for

18 years

Thanks for this personal story.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Dutch Children still learn about Operation Manna at the primary schools.

That's nice to hear, especially as it seems a lot of British children have no idea what D-Day was. :(

I came across this thread while looking for anything to do with RAF Mepal. As I was talking to my Dad this morning
and found that he was based there at the time of the D-Day landings. He was a fitter working on Lancasters.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Operation Manna is being taught up in Lincolnshire - I understand that Aviation Heritage Lincolnshire may also be co-ordinating an exchange visit of some kind with some Dutch schools! :)

Member for

14 years 5 months

That's encouraging to hear.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Also just found out that my Dad was attached to 42 MU. They fixed the bits that 75 Sqdn. chaps couldn't handle

Member for

18 years

Some nice additions to an old thread!

Member for

17 years 9 months

'Luck and a Lancaster' by Harry Yates is a good read including plenty about his time with 75 Sqn at Mepal.