HP Hampden detail photographs available?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 11 months

Hello chaps,

I am about to start on a 1/32 Hampden model using a vacform as a companion to my ongoing 1/32 Halifax build (not mentioning the 1:1 cockpit)

Structural details of the interior are a bit scarce. I have found some pics showing the exterior of the Cosford restoration but no real interior shots.

Anyone of you on the forum (Hampden perhaps) have access to a few?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Cees

Original post

Member for

17 years 3 months

Hello Cees, Chaz Bowyer's 'Hampden Special' has three pages of excellent interior shots and is printed on the glossy paper that shows the detail. ISBN 0 7110 0683 0 or I could scan them for you. It even has a photo showing the pneumatic firing button mounted half way up the control column. Not ideal ergonomics!

Member for

18 years 6 months

Heres a photo of the cockpit from a wartime book.

Dave

Member for

14 years 11 months

Thanks chaps,

I have the Chaz Bowyer book as well as the other books available but I am looking for better information regarding the frames and stringers of the fuselage as well as the centresection of the fuselage where the WOP had his office.

Cheers
Cees

Member for

18 years 1 month

Flight May 4 1939

John

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Aeroclub/img271.jpg

Member for

14 years 11 months

Excellent John,

Thanks very much, this is what I'm after. Perhaps Hampden (you know the chap restoring the Hampden at East Kirky) has some similar pics to complete things.

Cheers
Cees

Member for

21 years 2 months

Hi Cees,
I have an old issue of SAM (Nov 1991) which covers the build of Contrails 1/48 vacform kit which I can copy and email as .jpeg's if its of interest.

I know its not the scale you're building, its all black & white and predominantly a pictorial and doesn't cover much of the interior but if it'll be of interest, I'm happy to scan and email it to you over the weekend!

(Another HP product - puts hands in head and shakes it from side to side :D )

Cheers

Member for

17 years

Great post there John, when I was looking at the Radlett info I found something on a HP sytem on building aircraft in two halves at Cricklewood, to make onward journey to final assembly at Radlett easier, the info in your post is the first reference I've seen to that.

Member for

14 years 11 months

Without this process it would have been impossible for the workers to fit the various items inside.

Cheers
Cees

Member for

19 years 8 months

Seeing this reminded me of a book my grandfather gave me when I was but a small boy, but was the catalyst for my interest in things that fly and float, from a book called 'How things are made', may not be of any help but I thought it may be of interest

Cheers
PaulC

www.paulcouper.co.uk

Attachments

Member for

19 years 7 months

2 pics from last August....higher res available...PM if you would like them

Member for

19 years 7 months

Just remembered these as well, but don't know whose pics, so credit to whomever !

Amend- - - -Senility rules.......don't know how a He111 pic was filed as a Hampden........I've removed it from the post, well spotted guys
Rgds
DC

Member for

17 years 3 months

Excellent detail, but isn't the first pic the inside of an He111?

Member for

18 years 7 months

Excellent detail, but isn't the first pic the inside of an He111?

ooops .... without doubt He111 Ian :)

Member for

14 years 11 months

Thanks chaps,

Excellent pics.

Cheers
Cees

Member for

17 years

I've never seen this written about the Hampden before, '...The machine which is one of the finest specimens of aeronautical engineering in any air force in the world,'!

Remind me when I'm building the Airfix Hampden and Halifax, not to fill and sand down the fusalage halves joint line!:)

Member for

17 years

Looks really great.........Does the project need any fittings or anything for the cockpit?

Member for

14 years 11 months

I've never seen this written about the Hampden before, '...The machine which is one of the finest specimens of aeronautical engineering in any air force in the world,'!

Remind me when I'm building the Airfix Hampden and Halifax, not to fill and sand down the fusalage halves joint line!:)

The halifax and Hampden nose sections were split horizontally with a top and bottom section joined by the main longerons. The Hampden had a vertically split rear fuselage and tail, the Halifax did not (part of that was still horizontally split and the rear bay was one complete section).

Cees