First helicopter gunship?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 2 months

Has anyone ever heard of a gunship variant of the Mi4 Hound?
I saw this chopper at the Finnish Air Force Museum and was very suprised.
There is a turret mounted underneath with what appears to be a 14,5mm heavy machine gun.
I could not see through the turret windows very well but it appears that a gunner sits inside the turret and is equipped with a reflector sight, almost like a WW2 B17 belly turret (except he doesn't lie on his back).
When was this modification done?
Could it be that the Finnish Air Force were the first to field an attack chopper?

Attachments
Original post

Member for

16 years 5 months

Good find

Good find. Never knew this version had the ventral gun. Looks like it was the Mi-4M that had the gun, NATO code name HOUND-C. Could not find exact dates on roll out of this version, but perhaps @1964-65, thus before the Bell huey gunships.

Perhaps it was indeed the first "gunship" to roll of the line with a gun installation, but not the first gunship. Maybe the first "gunship" credit should go to the the French modified helicopters in the Algerian war thta ran 1954-to 1962, before the HOUND. Piaseki H-21, sikorski S-55 and H-34 were modified with guns, rocket pods etc.

http://dictionary.sensagent.com/attack+helicopter/en-en/

Likely earlier applications of side arms and rockets used in korea, but I guess it depends on how you define gunship.

Member for

14 years 2 months

Thanks. I've heard of the French adaptations in Algeria, good thinking from the troops in the field.
All the early 'gunship' choppers I've seen are essentialy field modifications... strapping weapons wherever they can find a place. This one looks like some serious design effort went into it, and I was suprised at the excellent workmanship.
Could it be that the Finns did the mod themselves? Or did they buy it like that straight from the USSR?
You're right about how do you define a gunship... that's a difficult one....
Any suggestions?