No. 5 Squadron RAF P-47 Thunderbolts

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

Last week I had the privilege to meet and interview James Cranstone DFC, who was a New Zealander in the RNZAF during the war. He was sent to Singapore in 1941 where he fought the Japanese in Buffaloes with No. 243 Squadron, and then he went to India flying Hurricanes on three different squadrons. Later in the war he was made the Commanding Officer of No. 5 Squadron RAF which had just re-equipped with Republic P-47 Thunderbolts, flying missions into Burma.

Sadly his memory was not as sharp as it was so a few questions remain unanswered. Also tragically he said his logbook had begun to fall apart so he'd long ago thrown it away.

So my question is what model of the P-47 did No. 5 Squadron fly during the 1944-45 period when he was CO? Did they fly razorbacks or bubble canopy aircraft, or both? Also what were the squadron codes, and does anyone have any photos at all of the squadron's Thunderbolts? Any other info on the aircraft flown during his time would be welcome too, such as markings, nose art, etc. Thanks.

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

In 1944 they operated both the Mark I and Mark II, but it seems reverted back to Mark Is in 1945. No Squadron codes in 1944, just a single letter. In 1945 they carried the OQ code. If you can get hold of a copy of Geoff Thomas' book "Royal Air Force Thunderbolts" there are some photos and a profile of 5 Squadron aircraft: FL947 "R" Mark I, unidentified Mark II "X" and HD112 "D-OQ" a Mark I.

Member for

16 years 9 months

There are several photographs of RAF thunderbolts in Simonsens book (RAF and RCAF Nose ART). Most based in Burma , Dutch East Indies and Egypt.

Most are 258 Squadron. Also 146, 30, 81 and 73OTU. They are mk 1 and 2's

There are also some NZ pilots emblems.

Most of the photos are copyright Geoff Thomas - so I assume also appear in the book mentioned above.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Thanks for the replies chaps. Is there any chance that you might be able to scan and post or email me the No. 5 Squadron photos for reference, and also the New Zealand pilot emblems you mention brian? It would really be appreciated as I don't have access to either book.

Or if anyone can put me in touch with Geoff Thomas that would be great too. Thanks.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Or if anyone can put me in touch with Geoff Thomas that would be great too. Thanks.

Sadly, that won't be possible as Mr Thomas died several years ago