Israeli Air Museum - Spitfires

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 11 months

Can anybody confirm the correct RAF identities of the two Spitfire IX's currently in the Israeli Air Force museum at Hatzerim

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 7 months

EN145 - '78'
SL653 - '26'

There is another one there as well, the airworthy all-black '57' - TE554

Member for

18 years 6 months

Just don't ask them about it. They will deny they have them!

Member for

15 years 11 months

Thanks for the quick response

Paul

Member for

15 years 5 months

Just don't ask them about it. They will deny they have them!

Probably got someone else's data plate:rolleyes:

Member for

14 years 5 months

Is the black one still flown?

Member for

21 years

I think it's flown for ceremonial purposes/displays. It was definitely flown for Ezer Weizman's funeral a few years back.

Member for

15 years 11 months

Although it was the 50th Anniversary of the State of Israel in 2008 Black 57 was not seen at Hatzerim, either static or in the air.

I understand the tongue in cheek ref to false i.d. but I asked my question because EN145 is often quoted, and refered to as 'being confirmed'. But this is a very early airframe and the Morgan/Shacklady book referer to EN145 as being with the Mediterrainean Allied Air Force until transfered to Indian Air Force on 26-4-45 and serial 4116 on 26-6-47. So how did it end up in the Israeli Museum ? Could the identity have been taken from replacement parts form at former RAF bases with Israel ?

Paul

Member for

18 years 6 months

I doubt the IAF would confirm any serial. I once asked them to confirm the ID of A Belgian Fouga in their museum. The response I got was "What Fouga, we don't know about a Fouga and we sure never had a Belgian Fouga".
Meanwhile it's a well known fact they bought several Ex-Belgian Fouga's in the 80's. They never flew with them and were sold on to private buyers, but one stayed behind and is now in IAF colors in the museum marked as "212". Maybe since they deny it exist, they can donate that ghost Fouga to me?:p

Member for

21 years

Stunning.

Member for

14 years 10 months

Wasn't EN145 found stamped in a fueltank cover during restoration?
Mark should know, or is it all in the book?
;)
Cees

Member for

18 years 5 months

TE554 is absolutely stunning. I was happy to see it in 2007, but wondered if they actually did fly the Spit any more. Good to see it in the air. It's a superb color scheme.

Member for

14 years 5 months

That is a beautiful colour scheme, she looks great.

Member for

15 years 11 months

;)
Cees

Exactly why I asked the question. A fuel cover or other easily removable panel does not identify the airframe.

Member for

18 years 11 months

EN145 served with the Italian air force as MM4116 and with the Israeli air force as 2078/78. The real identity of white “26” (SL653) in Israeli service was 2028/28 and not 2011/26.

All the best
Wings48

Member for

15 years 11 months

EN145 served with the Italian air force as MM4116 and with the Israeli air force as 2078/78. The real identity of white “26” (SL653) in Israeli service was 2028/28 and not 2011/26.

All the best
Wings48

Now that does make sense, the decode in the Morgan/Shacklady book had IAF Indian Air Force. Many thanks

Member for

19 years 5 months

;)
Cees

As Mark is away in sunnier climes at present it falls to me to confirm that EN145 was found on a number of panels when this Spitfire was examined at Carmiel in 1989. The clinchers were the cockpit plate (6S-240837) and firewall plate (HAI/6S-223490).

Yes Cees - it will all be in the book!

And if all goes to plan it will be at L.... :)

Member for

24 years 7 months

As Mark is away in sunnier climes at present it falls to me to confirm that EN145 was found on a number of panels when this Spitfire was examined at Carmiel in 1989. The clinchers were the cockpit plate (6S-240837) and firewall plate (HAI/6S-223490).

Yes Cees - it will all be in the book!

And if all goes to plan it will be at L.... :)

Identifying this Spitfire back in 1991,true an RAF serial EN145 was stencilled on an engine side cowling, but it was more subtle than that. 20-78 was the acknowleged Iraeli serial and this put it firmly in the the Italian rather than the Czech camp. The construction numbers from both the firewall and the cockpit plate give evidence of being in the very early Mk IX territory. The Czech Spitfires, almost to the serial, are all from a very close batch of new build aircraft in the TE5** and SL6** range...difficult, but the Italian Spitfires shipped to Israel were drawn from over the full serial range of Mark IX's, with in many case several hundred machines between possibles. Analysis of the possibles in conjuction with the c/n's showed EN145 to be the RAF ID beyond reasonable doubt.

Mark....steaming south at 18 knots with a pleasant 82 degrees f.

It will all be in the book :)