Info sought; F-111 crash nr Cambridge 1979?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 10 months

It was i believe 1979 when i was playing in our back garden in the village of Gt Shelford. There was suddenly a loud bang in the sky (ejection capsule) followed by a deep thud as the plane hit the ground. It came down on the edge of a small wood in the vllage of Harlton, to the west of Cambridge, and buried itself in the ground nose first. I still remember the lights of one or two helicopters in the distance as they searched for the crew (who unbeknown to them were i believe being looked after in a local house following their successful ejection).

Does anyone know what caused the plane to crash or have any pics of the plane or crash site.? I believe it was a Lakenheath based machine.

Original post

Member for

16 years 10 months

Thanks for that Simon.. glad i got the year right. Looking through that list it looks like the F-111 had a real poor safety record.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Thanks for that Simon.. glad i got the year right. Looking through that list it looks like the F-111 had a real poor safety record.

The F-111 had the best safety record of any of the century series of fighters, 77 lost in over one million flight hours. With around 150 F-111E's/F's based here in the uk they were bound to lose a few.

Member for

20 years 7 months

They lost one on the Wainfleet ranges, around 1990ish, I remember the bang very well, I was some five miles away!! unfortunately the crew were killed:(

Member for

15 years 10 months

Interesting thread this. I remember another incident back in the early 1970's when an F1-11 had a control surface problem and had to be 'steered' by another F1-11 next to it. I think it was an Upper Heyford based plane.

The reason I remember it was that the two planes flew over the junior school I attended. If I'm correct this happened nearly 40 years ago now so my memory isnt as good as it was, but I do recall the news programmes of the time making a fuss about it.

I think the crew safely ejected in the end after avoiding built-up areas.

Can anyone comfirm this or is it my memory playing tricks?

This one perhaps? Depends where your school was of course! :)

68-0024 crashed Jan 11, 1973 near North Crawley, Bucks, UK shortly after
takeoff from Upper Heyford due to inoperative rudder.

Taken from http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/1968.html

Also listed on the ejection-history site too.

Member for

15 years 10 months

This one perhaps? Depends where your school was of course! :)

68-0024 crashed Jan 11, 1973 near North Crawley, Bucks, UK shortly after
takeoff from Upper Heyford due to inoperative rudder.

Taken from http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/1968.html

Also listed on the ejection-history site too.

That would be the one as I'm in Bedfordshire, about 8 miles from North Crawley, thanks for your speedy answer! I remember being in the school playground as the two F1-11s flew over and thought they were a bit close together. Low flying military planes were fairly common in the skies above the school with RAF Thurleigh close by but we all knew that this was a bit different from the norm. Of course news coverage then wasnt as in your face and sensationalist as it is these days but I think it made the national news. it certainly featured on the Look East part of Nationwide! (showing my age!)

Member for

24 years 8 months

The F-111 had the best safety record of any of the century series of fighters

Fighters?

We are talking F111 here

Moggy

Member for

17 years

It is an oddity, but the F-111 is firmly designated as a fighter! The FB designation seems to have been bandied around at some stage but not taken up.
I would say it isn't part of the 'Century series' though, both numerically and timewise.

Member for

14 years 7 months

I thought the Century Series has always included the 100,101,102,104,105 and 106. The exclusions were 103, 107, 108, 109 andn 110, which was the F4. The 111 was surely never considered as a part of the original sequence.

Member for

18 years 8 months

What about the FB-111A used by SAC?
The RAAF used some of them as F-111G's

Member for

17 years

There was the FB-111A strategic nuclear bomber variant, but fairly minor in production numbers and front-line service.
The 'Century' series is generally accepted as covering the F-100 to F-109, production types, prototypes, and unflown submissions.
They were all of a certain period and design philosophy, of which the F-111 (and F-110 Spectre - aka Phantom II) were well seperate from.

Member for

16 years 10 months

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but I've just noticed on the Aviation Safety Network website https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=137885 that apparently the escape capsule from this F-111 came down in Great Shelford, the village I was living in at the time with my parents. I've never heard of this before.

Can anyone confirm this and possibly say where exactly in Shelford it came down?

Rob

Member for

17 years 2 months

As another former Shelford resident, I too would be interested to know!

Old news indeed! On 30th October 1979, early evening, I was in Coton - 2 ½ miles west of the centre of Cambridge - and in the distance heard two tremendous bangs, presumably ejection and impact.

The F-111 from Upper Heyford had impacted vertically on Farmer Banks’ land at Washpit Lane, Harlton, about 4 miles SSW of my position. The Cambridge Evening News of Wednesday October 31st reported that “nearby houses were rocked and a great sheet of flame was sent up as the plane plummeted into a spinney”. Only the fin was left above ground and the codes pictured in the CEN read UH AF68 012 (just one leading zero).

First-on-the spot rescuers dashed to try to find the crew. But they had come down several fields away on land near Mr Lance Rayner’s home, at 16 Cambridge Road, Barton. The pilot, Capt Eugene Ogilvie, aged 28, from Minnesota, and a weapon system officer, Capt Albert Manzo, 26, had ejected in a special two-man pod which detaches from the plane. Mr Rayner said he heard a noise and saw a pall of black smoke some distance away. “I went out into the garden to see what had happened and I went out into the field next door. I found the crew there,” he said.

Great Shelford is the best part of 4 miles to the SE of Barton, so ASN would appear to have it wrong.

As a footnote, my diary for 4th November 1979 records a ride in the Duxford Varsity:

“… sat on the main spar, watching the wing flex and the huge engine nacelle gyrating around the F-111 crash site at Harlton”.

Another world!

Member for

17 years 2 months

No doubt there, then!

Thanks Mark!!

Member for

16 years 10 months

Indeed - thanks Mark. I thought Great Shelford was a bit wide of the mark. Some of those details are bringing back memories, and I'm guessing the helicopters I saw were those around Barton.

Rob