TV adverts...?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 10 months

Is it me, or are the majority of adverts on TV these days based around four different things...buying/selling cars, car insurance (confused.com, gocompare.com, comparethemarket.com, directline.com, moneysupermarket.com), gas/electricity/hi-def TV subscriptions (namely Sky+HD) and also those damn National Accident Helpline and/or injurylawyers4u (you know, the ones with Johnny Allen from EastEnders in them!) adverts?

Why can't we have something more interesting...?

Perhaps I am just watching too much of Dave and Sky News, or I am just getting old (even though I'm only 23 next month!)...:rolleyes:

Original post

Member for

15 years 5 months

You're right,TV adverts ARE much less varied than they used to be,though the meerkat from compare the market makes me laugh no matter how many times I see it.

Member for

16 years 9 months

Agree, we seem deluged with the same tat. Just shows who out there is making the money!

In general, adverts cost far more than the actual programmes to make, that's why they "Used" to be actually better than the progs.
On the programme "TV's 100 best ads", the winner was those Cadbury's smash robots. "Hit them with their metal knives". I always detested that ad, even in the 70's. I detest the product even more. Although instant mash makes a good spread for a sausage sandwich. (And HP sauce, of course!!)

Member for

19 years

Although instant mash makes a good spread for a sausage sandwich.

That is BRILLIANT! And yes, I AM shouting this time! New breakfast ideas are always good! :D

Paul

Member for

17 years 10 months

I hate TV ads. :mad:

I watch precious little of the old idiot box anyway, but when I do, I always seem to switch on during the ad. break.

Not only are they all advertising the same crap, but why are they twice the fhttp://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll233/2woDee/Funnies/censored.gifg volume of the programme you are watching?
Very annoying... http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll233/2woDee/Funnies/soapbox.gif

Thank God for the 'mute' button...

Don

Member for

16 years 9 months

That is BRILLIANT! And yes, I AM shouting this time! New breakfast ideas are always good! :D

Paul

It soaks the butter from one side and the sausage "Juice" from the other.
...and if you make the top layer from fried bread, it's mouthgasmic.

Member for

24 years 7 months

Same in NL. With the exception of the news there is hardly anything I still watch. It's all DVDs and stuff of the internet.

The really annoying thing is, that when there is one of those imported "best of advertising" programmes on, they show a lot of Dutch adverts. Adverts that are hillarious, but that are not on Dutch TV! So the potential is there. Now, only the beer brands Heineken and Bavaria and one or two insurance companies make commercials that are fun to watch.

Most advertiements are for instant loans/mortgages and for ringtones and other junk for the mobile phones.

Member for

24 years 7 months

All I can say is that if you think it's bad in the UK (and Netherlands) then be thankful you don't live in the USA ! Info-mercial hell !!!

Get up in the night and watch certain UK cable tv stations if you'd like a flavour...:eek:

Member for

18 years 10 months

Just for you all...

Mod Edit: No live linking, thanks.

Anyone else got any favourite (and also most annoying!) TV adverts, please feel free to post up a link to a video so we can all share the joy and/or pain of watching them!

Here's one of my favourite:

Mod Edit: See above.

I've even gone so far as downloading the backing music to this particular TV advert; incidentally the song used is called "Transient" by Pluxus.

Enjoy!:D

Member for

24 years 7 months

Best....advert....ever!

http://www.visit4info.com/advert/Carling-Black-Label-Dambusters-Carling/24268

There was a story that in one of the awards bashes they have for TV adverts one of the judges actually got up and stormed out declaring the contest rigged when this advert didnt win.

Its got to be said that the meerkat gets my 2yr old howling with laughter every time she see's it so I'd have to make the comment that the advertisers art may not be completely dead yet......just very, very sick!