Guy Fawkes

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 6 months

Is it only us English that have to suffer Guy Fawkes night?

It's supposed to be "celebrated" on Nov.5th but seems to last for 3 weeks!

I got nothing against a good firework display but indiscriminately chucking foreworks about for the hell of it seems very irresponsible to me!!

Right now it sounds like a battle zone outside!!

Does any other country (apart from US:July 4th)have big firework displays to celebrate an annual event??

sober at last

Original post

Member for

24 years 6 months

RE: Guy Fawkes

Brazil:

September 7th (independence day) and all the days when Brazilian soccer team is playing... ;)

Regards,
Primer55

Member for

24 years 6 months

Whe in the Netherlands always play with fireworks at newyears eve. 0.00 hr at 1 januari of the new year.

Member for

24 years 6 months

Brasils soccer team.....(sigh!) if only they were English

Salut Prime

sober at last

Dave

Member for

24 years 6 months

We celebrate the night of Saint John (24th June?), magical night. We make bonfires to keep witches and evil spirits away from us, have to leave an egg broken in a blown outside, and in the villages we decorate the houses doors with flowers and different plants. In a nearby beach, the pregnant women get in the water at night, and jump seven waves to keep also the bad spirits away from their babies. In the bonfires, which are organized in each neighbourhood at night (we make also sardine barbacues with other things) we have to burn old things and jump over the bonfires to have good luck. It´s supposed to have a conection with the Roman Solstice celebration, but other indications say, it´s a ancient celtic ceremonial celebration.

Member for

24 years 6 months

I'm having a fireworks display on the 5th. :) Dave did you go to the fireworks over carshalton park yesterday? (2/11/02)

Member for

24 years 6 months

I was born in Carshalton!

We have Guy Fawkes here in New Zealand too but it is getting rather boring.
First firecrackers were banned, then skyrockets... now the advise is that sparklers are dangerous and children should not be allowed to hold them by themselves... ie an adult must hold the childs hand while they burn...
Currently fireworks displays consist of roman candle type fireworks... though some of these fire exploding glowing balls that look every bit as dangerous as skyrockets... I guess it is only a matter of time before they are banned too.

Member for

24 years 6 months

I dont recal hearing about guy fawkes celebrations here in Aust. since i arrived here.

Correct my English history knowledge if am wrong... wasnt the guy fawkes leader of catholic movement to blow up te parlament.. they stuffed the basement with gunpowder barrels but were eventualy cought. And if my memory serves me the English now celebrate with fireworks and burning of the dolls representing the guy fawkes.. Oh and in some town ( fotgot the name) they set the barrel of tar on fire then man carry it on their shoulders and pass arround... looks like a crazy but fun thing to do :)

Member for

24 years 6 months

Guy Fawkes Night?Guy Fawkes Week!I've been hearing fireworks since Halloween,it really annoys me.It's fine to have fireworks on the night but it is all drawn out now and it is getting stupid.No consideration for people nor the animals which are frightened to death.

Member for

24 years 6 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 04-11-02 AT 04:01 PM (GMT)]A330crazy

What?? in that rain!!! Noooooooooooooooo!! Did you ???

sober at last

Dave

Member for

24 years 6 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 04-11-02 AT 04:03 PM (GMT)]Wysiwyg

Really! which part of Carshalton??

sober at last

Dave

Member for

24 years 6 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 04-11-02 AT 05:33 PM (GMT)]When I lived in Peru, they clebrate christmas with fireworks at midnight. Fireworks are such a big thing in peru that litterally a fog of gunpowder smoke covers the city.

Member for

24 years 6 months

Fireworks sales to individual members of the public have been banned in many parts of Australia for some years because of the fire hazard and the actions of idiots. We have large fireworks displays on New Years Eve and to celebrate the Queens Birthday weekend in early June, and these displays are operated by professional organisations. Many of you will have seen some of the fireworks displays using the Sydney Harbour Bridge for the year 2000 and the Olympics celebrations. It's quite spectacular because the bridge is so large and so easy to see from anywhere on the harbour.

Most of the other "fireworks" occur on a lower key in our various Parliament Houses around the country, on any week, on any day...Borrrringgg!!!!

Regards

Wombat

Member for

24 years 6 months

Dave, no I didn't go, anyhow I can see them from me house :P , so why pay and get wet, when you can watch them from your own home? lol.

Member for

24 years 6 months

Hi people

Edinburgh always has a big fireworks display to mark the end of the Edinburgh Military Tattoo and Festival.

I have been to it a few years running now. I also know we have fireworks at New Year but no big November 5th fireworks only domestic fireworks and smaller organised display. Which I think are really the best way to do things as all you have to do is watch and let someone else do the work. Although I always buy some and set them off at my Dads house which is in the country and has a big field in front of it so its really safe.

Hope all you people have a great fireworks night.

Merlin

Member for

24 years 6 months

you've banned firework sales !!!

a bit excessive, then again you ahve the fire problems with your forests don't you.

over here its an excuse fro anyone and everyone to fire them off randomly - a friend of mine built a rocke launcher that ended up looking like a stinger

rabie :9

Member for

24 years 6 months

Rabie

That's the sort of action by idiots I was referring to in my earlier post. Some kids were dismantling the fireworks to use the gunpowder to make their own bombs. Trouble is, when they were compressing the powder into the cartridge, whatever it was, they managed to ignite the powder and blow their silly bloody hands off!

Also, people were injured by rockets mis-directing etc. Actually, this country for years has had a string of governments which have slowly eroded much of the fun which we had when I was a kid. No fireworks has been the case for about 20 years. We also have ever more stringent road laws which are cheap to implement, take little thought and supposedly help to reduce the road toll. There are many other deadhead laws too, but I suppose we all have them.

Regards

Wombat

Member for

24 years 6 months

i understand where your coming from

rabie :9