Cessna 150 vs 152

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 11 months

Hi everyone, I am 35 hours in to my PPL on a Cessna 152 and I'm hoping to do my cross-country qualifier as soon as wx is good and I have a day off work. I've decided to join a flying group once I've got my license (North Weald Flying Group - anyone heard much about them?). Not only will it work out cheaper where I can pay monthly as opposed to taking out a loan and buying 'block hours' at the flying club, the flying group also has much nicer aircraft. My flying club 152's are getting a bit worse for wear to say the least. But what would you expect with 18,000 hours?

The question I want to ask is what are the differences between the 152 and 150? The North Weald group has 1 150 and 4 172's. The 172's will be great if I've got a couple of friends, but I'll primarily be building my hours in the 150 due to money. I assume that learning to fly the 150 should be an easy transition from the 152? I imagine that most differences will be fairly trivial (a slightly lower cruising speed I guess) but I'll be interested to hear the differences and prepare myself none the less. I'm not only concerned about technical differences, but also general flying/handling characteristics.

I look forward to hearing some responses and most importantly people that may have had experience with both types.

Original post

Member for

24 years 5 months

For a start, the 152 has a Lycoming with a few more horses. The 150 has a Conti with 100hp and (apparently) more prone to carb icing. The Lyc runs the air induction past a warm part of the engine, but anyway, you've been likely taught good FREDA checks and judicious use of the CH.

Member for

15 years 5 months

Hi,
I've flown the C150, 152 and C172 and i've got to say the difference between the 150 and 152 isnt really noticable. They're pretty much the same flying characteristically really. I'm currently hour building on the 150 and 150 aerobat and i'm happy.

Member for

18 years 4 months

Generally the 150 does everything a few knots slower than the 152, but the differences aren't great.
The 150 has 40 deg. max flap extension, which requires more carefull handling during a go-around. Keep the speed at 60-65 mph until you've cleaned to flaps 20.

ASI is usually MPH on the main scale on 150 and usually Knots on the 152.

You occasionally see 'long range'tanks and/or 'cruise' props on 150s which aren't very useful mods. 30 US gals on board will make it a single seater and a coarse prop gives a lousy climb performance.

Handling is generally quite docile, though stalls with power and flaps can be quite entertaining. Fun to spin and quick to recover, anything more exciting and it would need to be an Aerobat.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Thanks for the insight chaps.

I'm used to cruising at approx 90kts in the C152, is that kind of cruise speed achievable in the C150 too? Interesting about the ASI on the C150 generally being in MPH, definitely something to take note of especially on approach! Don't want to be getting your speeds mixed up.

As an aside, how about the 172. Would I be right to say a cruising speed of 105kts or so is possible in the 172? If true then on anything longer than a 90 min sector it could actually work out cheaper to fly the 172 than the 150 (£74p/h vs £90p/h)

Sorry to bang on about cruising speeds, I just find that published speeds are quite different to what you can actually achieve once up there flying for real.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Thanks for the insight chaps.

I'm used to cruising at approx 90kts in the C152, is that kind of cruise speed achievable in the C150 too? Interesting about the ASI on the C150 generally being in MPH, definitely something to take note of especially on approach! Don't want to be getting your speeds mixed up.

As an aside, how about the 172. Would I be right to say a cruising speed of 105kts or so is possible in the 172? If true then on anything longer than a 90 min sector it could actually work out cheaper to fly the 172 than the 150 (£74p/h vs £90p/h)

Sorry to bang on about cruising speeds, I just find that published speeds are quite different to what you can actually achieve once up there flying for real.

That may depend on the age of the aircraft and how well it's maintained. There are other variables such as altitude, gas quality, temperature, etc... but if properly maintained and in good condition the C-172 SHOULD be able to do 105 KTAS at 2000 ft at standard temp and 2300 RPM. In fact, if you went higher (say 6000 ft) you might be able to get 115 KTAS if you were at 2500 RPM. Also, pilot technique, such as not leaning the engine, etc... can affect your performance.

If things are significantly different from the book, I'd be suspicious. I flew a Piper Tomahawk once that was ALWAYS better than the book by 2-5 KIAS. Turned out it had some non-standard cylinders on it of doubtful origin...

I think Cessna's figures are likely accurate. Oh, and if you're going anywhere with friends, the C172 becomes even more your friend as you can stuff 3-4 people on board and spread the cost more efficiently than the 150.

Ryan