Campbell Leather Helmets

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

I believe there are some other forum members besides myself who use the Campbell Flying Helmet, and I have a question. I've been using the face mask microphone, but the sound quality has been terrible. Recently I switched to the boom mic, and the results are greatly improved (very loud and clear). Has anyone else had positive results with the mask? I'm trying to decide if it's just a bad microphone, or if it's a design issue. The boom mic is so much more comfortable that I doubt I'll switch back anyway.

Wish Campbell would have just made an O2 mask that would hook on and work with the comm gear.

Steve

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

I think I've spotted the problem.

One of Mrs P's best glass vases (Pronounced - 'vars-es') appears to have become wedged in your helmet.

Get that out and the sound should be much less muffled.

Glad to have been of help.

Moggy

Member for

24 years 8 months

Curious....

Steve,
why do you elect to wear a leather helmet, versus a hard bonedome or perhaps a headset like a Bose-X?

Member for

20 years 9 months

macky 42 - The Campbell helmet is a bonedome, it just looks like a leather helmet but offers good head protection.
Is anyone in the UK an agent and what is the cost?
Cheers,
Trapper 69

Member for

24 years 8 months

Well I did not know that. Doesn't it just make you look like you've got a big head?

Member for

20 years 9 months

Better big than broke...............!!!
Cheers,
Trapper 69
PS - and I do speak from personal knowledge.

Member for

21 years

I cannot recommmend the Campbell AeroClassic helmet enough. The beauty is that it is only slightly larger than a leather helmet - almost indestingushably so, but considerably smaller than a traditional bone dome.

Cost to me one year ago was 2000 New Zealand Dollars, which included the headset bag, baseball cap, scarf, key ring, leather cream a fantastic friendly purchasing experience and all the after sales service you could ever hope for.

Their stand at Warbirds over Wanaka was covered in photos of the top warbird pilots wearing them.

The are built to measure and if you are not happy with any part of it, they will go out of their way to fix it. They said that they do get people complaining about the radio quality, but on these occasions, the owner complained to their friends, but did not bother to tell them!! When the owner eventually got around to calling them, Ivan Campbell would fix the problem straight away.

Patty, give Ivan and Sandy a call, they will know exactly how to fix it. Say "hi" from me too.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Thanks Janie, I'll send them an email. I was just curious about your experiences (helmet, that is).

The sound quality of the headset and boom mic is fantastic. The sound is clear, crisp and very loud (which is why they've installed a volume control on the side). Also this helmet is much more comfortable than my traditional "bone dome". The kevlar shell really takes the weight out, and it just plain looks better when flying the T-6 or Fury.

Steve

Member for

21 years

My helmet was too tight originally. They had measured my head OK, but had not allowed for the ton of hair. Solution: They immediately sent me a new, thinner, equally effective lining, which was easily installed.

I also have two types of microphone which are easily interchangeable for different types of radio and I have different plugs depending on whether the sockets are two-pin or Nato.

Patty: What have you got on your name plate on the back?

Member for

20 years 6 months

I'm also going to have them send a thinner lining, as the helmet fits just a bit too snug.

Let's see...oh, that little brass thingy...W362 SR PATTERSON...Yup, that's me.

Ivan and Sandy were great to meet at Oshkosh, and their excitement (and yours) over this product is why I bought it.

Sorry I missed dinner in London. It would have been fun slagging off Melv.

Member for

21 years

I'm also going to have them send a thinner lining, as the helmet fits just a bit too snug.
I'm sure they told you, you can also sand down the lining a micron at a time to get the right size.

Let's see...oh, that little brass thingy...W362 SR PATTERSON...Yup, that's me.
Cripes a mighty! I'm W307 and I got mine in April 2004.

Sorry I missed dinner in London. It would have been fun slagging off Melv.
Oh I head you were invited to the Beery-ani evening. That's a whole different clique. Not to worry, we'll just have to slag off Melvin another time, quitely between ourselves and 60 billion other internet users.