Lawnmower-powered aircraft

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years 1 month

Yes, you read that right, and if this was the first day in April you'd be right in thinking I was pulling your chain!

Saw a programme on the Discovery Channel at the weekend (Extreme Machines?) and there was a segment about a plane built by a chap in America - and it was powered by a LAWNMOWER ENGINE!

Can't remember his name, or the name of his plane, but it was very light and could shift (130mph+).

Anyone out there know what it is?

Original post

Member for

21 years 3 months

Beats cutting the lawn...

Ah! wondered how long it would take you to find that one Daz!
Did we get bored cutting the lawn then?!! :D :rolleyes:

It would be the DA-11, 18hp Briggs and Stratton powered! It goes to prove a point on how little power is needed for flight. Acceleration might be an issue though. It was built as a one-off.

Here's the link:
http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/da11.html

Also interesting at 20Hp: !!! Dialup users: image intensive !!!
http://www.leroyent.com/jpx-index.htm

Nick

Member for

21 years 1 month

That's the one, Bigglesworth! Many thanks.

Didn't realise it was so small! :eek:

Member for

21 years 1 month

That's amazing. I knew about the DA-11 but not about the one off B&S powered variant as the normal engine used in these machines is in the region of 100-150hp

Member for

20 years 8 months

Speaking of unusually powered aeroplanes, would a "Pou de Ciel" or similar use a motorcycle engine? I spoke to an ex-RAF pilot the other week who said that his first plane was powered by the engine from his motorbike.

Quite a few early aircraft used motorbike engines. The JAP flat twin was one I think. Vincent motor bike engines were used in target drones.

MH

Member for

21 years 1 month

There is a company (can't remember who) in the buisiness of modifying BMW flat twins for aircraft use and will even turn the heads around for use as a pusher

Member for

20 years 8 months

There is a company (can't remember who) in the buisiness of modifying BMW flat twins for aircraft use and will even turn the heads around for use as a pusher

There is one on a strip just north of Winchester. It is being finally sorted at the moment.

MH

Member for

21 years 1 month

If I remember rightly the Taylor Monoplane prototype was powered by a JAP of some kind - I'll have to look it out.