Anybody here used or at least knows Aviacsa?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 3 months

So here's my story, real quick cos I don't want to bore any of you good people.

I am what you could call a nervous but not really flyer... in other words, I get nervous when I fly but I don't go "John Lightgow" in that Twilight zone movie, know what I mean?

the reason why I dont get so nervous is because, first of all, I actualy enjoy aircrafts and airports and traveling, If I am using a known airline with new aircrafts I feel fine.

Well, I had to fly down to Monterrey Mexico for some business for the second time this month, we flew Continental, on a small embraer jet, it was fine, I was a bit nervous but I know continental.

Well, like last month, an emergency comes up, I am in Monterrey and I get a call from the boss, we have to fly to Mexico city from monterrey, which is about an hour long flight, its really close... everything is paid for, its important and we come back to monterrey in the same day, later that night. so I ask.. ok... which airline.. and he says, an airline from Monterrey called Aviacsa...

So I do some online research and.. "gulp" it's the only airline in Mexico I think, that still uses 737-200 aircraft... we are talking airplanes that may very well be 30 years old.. some of them say 737-201adv.. which I have no idea what that means and apparently they have only three 737-300... so the probability is that I am geting in one of those 737-200 planes.

So I am freaking out here! I know Mexicana and I know AeroMexico.. Mexicana has those sweet, sweet airbuses and they are very new, glass cockpit, you name it..

So this time the "john lightgow" nerves are actualy starting to kick in, specialy cos I have absolutely no control over the situation.. i cant switch airlines, everybody who is coming with me is also going in that same flight.. so I am stuck.

Can anybody here give me some info on aviacsa that may make me feel a bit better?

one thing that made me feel good is that aviacsa actualy has international flights, they seem to have flights to houston and to las vegas. in those 737-200.. so at least that means that airlines doesnt just have to meet the rigorous inspection of the mexican goverments but also the american ones.. that kind of made me feel a bit safer but still.. I will be flying twice in the same day on a 30 year old aircraft of an airline I've never heard of and I could use some reasuring.. and just when I got to this forum I find this post.

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1403814#post1403814

now thats bad karma for me! only aviacsa seems to use those 200adv planes and that plane that just blew up in mid air was one of those...

Sorry if I seem a bit crazy with all of this.. in a few months I will be flying a lot but I will be using airlines I know, Mexicana, Delta, Virgin, etc.. I will also be using China Southern but I dont know anything about that one either so maybe when the time comes I will freak out a little bit but my problem right now is this airline.. aviacsa.

Thanks for your understanding!

Original post

Member for

15 years 3 months

Thanks man, that makes me feel a bit safer, the one thing I hate is how most of those reviews are like 4 or 5 years old.. now a days I dont know... I just wish someone who flew them recently or knew a bit more of the 737 200 reasured me.... I know I shouldnt be this nervous but I cant help it

Member for

21 years 3 months

Hi Newflyer and welcome.

I don't know much about Aviacsa, but I just wanted to share a few thoughts with you.

I worked on the 737-200 for many years and it's a great solid, little aircraft. It is very noisy if you are sitting behind the wings and the changes in engine sounds are very noticeable. It climbs very steeply after take off and some turns can be quite sharp. After landing some parts of the engine cowling move noticeably when reverse thrust is used, pax often used to think parts were falling off, and again reverse thrust can be very noisy. Flying on a -200 isn't as subltle as newer types, but I mention all of these so that you know they are PERFECTLY normal. For me this lack of subtlety makes it far more interesting than an Airbus.

I see aviacsa have tried other types, such as the F100 and Bae146, but stuck with the B737. This must tell you that it is the right aircraft for their operation, and with a fleet of 23 -200's they have to among the most experienced operators of the type today.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Have a good trip.

1L.

Member for

15 years 3 months

Thanks so much.. so you're saying I shouldnt be worried with safety? cos I see 737 200 crash sometimes from airlines that are poorley manteined like airlines from african countries or russian airlines, I see accidents some times and I freak out because its usualy the same thing over and over again.. old poorly maintained aircrafts.. usualy 737's cos they are so popular.

You dont think Aviacsa is in the same boat then?

Member for

15 years 3 months

About to board wish me luck

Member for

16 years 7 months

This message might be a be a bit late, but if you are flying with them from the states, you are likely to get one of their newer aircraft anyway. Because the airline realises expectations are higher in the states than in mexico.

We get the same thing in western europe with russian and eastern european airlines. These airlines might be made up of 95%+ Soviet aircraft more than 20 years old, but to the UK they always send their new Airbus and Boeing's.

Member for

24 years 7 months

About to board wish me luck

Don't do it....they're a deadly airline!!!! Damn, too late! :diablo::diablo::dev2:

I am of course kidding and accept no responsibility for liability related to slandering an airline that are perfectly safe! :D:p

Member for

21 years 3 months

the last accident they had was nineteen years ago!

Even that was being operated for them by another airline.

1L.

Member for

15 years 3 months

Hey guys! I landed in Mexico city and finished my business and I'm at the airport now on the way back... Boarding in about 30 min.... My stomach hurts...

Member for

15 years 3 months

Which aircraft type did you fly on? How was it? Is that a nervous stomach ache?! Hope you have a good return flight.

Member for

21 years 3 months

It doesn't matter what type you fly on or how old it is...whether it be the latest 777, A380 or a 732Advanced...just remember when you're at 40 thousand feet flying through turbulence... that every single part of this plane down to the last rivet ...was built by the lowest bidder!!!