Pieces of DC10 engine falls on houses

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years 4 months

Engine pieces from a US plane have fallen from the sky in Brazil, hitting 22 houses and a car but sparing passengers and residents on the ground.

Pieces of one of the turbines of the DC-10 plunged to the ground early on Thursday in the Amazon jungle town of Manaus in northern Brazil. The plane is owned by the Miami, Florida-based Arrow Cargo company.

Arrow Cargo's station manager in Manaus says the company will pay for damages.

Source:AAP

Original post

Member for

19 years 4 months

The plane continued to its destination on two engines. The pilots were probably considering the consequences of landing in Brazil after having caused damage and possible injuries with previous pilots who have ended up in jail.:D

Member for

21 years 4 months

The plane continued to its destination on two engines.D

What was the alternative???

Member for

16 years 1 month

Did the engine just blow up in flight or just disintigrate? Either way - very odd indeed.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Engine disintergrated on t/o.

Member for

21 years 4 months

Engine disintergrated on t/o.

GE no doubt...that's what happened in the United Sioux City crash only it disintegrated mid flight!!!

Member for

19 years 4 months

Yes, GE-CF6's. Photo of remains of engine attached!

Attachments

Member for

20 years 2 months

GE no doubt...that's what happened in the United Sioux City crash only it disintegrated mid flight!!!

The fan disk failed on the United aircraft, this was a turbine disc failure & resulted in a lot LESS damage to the aircraft & its systems.

Member for

16 years 1 month

Bloody lucky if you ask me, judging by that photo.

Member for

20 years 10 months

No need to be so dramatic.
The cowling isn't even punctured, looks like a contained failure with bits being spat out of the back end. No real danger to the aircraft itself.

Member for

17 years 7 months

My thoughts too. If the turbine disc had failed it would not have been contained, they have too much mass.

Member for

19 years 4 months

The cowling isn't even punctured, looks like a contained failure with bits being spat out of the back end. No real danger to the aircraft itself.

Tell that to the guy with the new car ornament!:D

Attachments

Member for

21 years 4 months

Yes, GE-CF6's. Photo of remains of engine attached!

My understanding of the original news article was that it was a piece of cowling that fell from a wing engine!!!

Member for

20 years 10 months

Tell that to the guy with the new car ornament!:D

Well fair enough on the debris that fell.

But the aircraft itself appears to have been in no danger at all.

Member for

21 years 4 months

Another negative response...do you ever reply to any thread in the positive???

Member for

19 years

Another negative response...do you ever reply to any thread in the positive???

More arrogant than negative I'd say!

Sorry... Couldn't help that. :diablo:

But just a small point... It's all very well after the event saying the aircraft appeared (past tense) to be in no danger. I'm sure there won't be a mechanic or pilot in the world who would say an engine shedding a fan blade or other such mishaps are entirely safe events and pose no danger whatsoever. If any did say that then I wouldn't want to fly with their airline.

Paul