Boeing 747LCF..why no winglets?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5911128

The LCF is based on the -400 which as we all know has winglets as standard,so boeing has made a concious decision to remove them..why?,i thought only good things come from having winglets/wingtip fences ,mainly less fuel burn therefore more range/payload?.It's a bit ironic that the plane that the LCF will help create is so envoirnmentally friendly,but it is self seemingly isn't too bothered about the reducing green house gases:confused: :rolleyes:

Original post

Member for

21 years 1 month

Something about them being removed out of neccessity - they produced adverse vibrations on the airframe/wings. That's all I know - someone with more knowledge will be able to expand :)

Member for

20 years 10 months

Quite interesting issue. Shows how complex airflow & structural oscillations are.

Member for

20 years

I guess the LCF will generally only operate short sectors the winglets might not earn their keep versus their own weight on short sectors.Payback only comes on longer sectors.Heres an extract on the japanese -400 domestic models
747-400D
The 747-400D (Domestic) is a high density seating model developed for short-haul domestic Japanese flights. Capable of seating 568 passengers, the aircraft is the highest-capacity passenger aircraft in the world, even when the Airbus A380 officially enters service. The -400D lacks the wing tip extensions and winglets included on other variants, allowing for increased number of takeoffs and landings by lowering wing stresses; the benefits of winglets would be minimal on short routes. The -400D may be converted to the long range version when needed.

The 747-400 Domestic first flew on March 18, 1991 and entered service with Japan Airlines on October 22, 1991.

Member for

21 years 1 month

I guess the LCF will generally only operate short sectors the winglets might not earn their keep versus their own weight on short sectors.

The LCF is designed to fly across the Pacific - Japan to the US, as well as Italy - US and back, so it will be flying long haul flights.

Member for

20 years

Very interesting then Adam ,why not contact Boeing PR department and ask.I,ve always found them very good as a company,many years ago I had a great tour of the 74 production facility and an excellent lunch.A true lifetime experience I,ll never forget.Be very interested to hear the answer ,also the flight levels the LCF is going to operate at??.:cool:

Member for

20 years 1 month

Valso the flight levels the LCF is going to operate at??.:cool:

A couple of plans I've seen for it have it at usual levels, FL350 etc.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Might sound stupid but how does this aircraft work I mean how do you load an aircraft into it?:confused:

James

Member for

18 years 9 months

Might sound stupid but how does this aircraft work I mean how do you load an aircraft into it?:confused:

James

open the door at the back !

Member for

24 years 8 months

James

It doesn't carry "an aircraft" it carries component parts of (what will become) an aircraft, fuselage sections mainly...;) Most Boeing 747F's open up via the nose and by a large cargo door near the rear end. I imagine this one does the same tricks ? :)

Member for

20 years 1 month

It doesn't carry "an aircraft" it carries component parts of (what will become) an aircraft, fuselage sections mainly...;) Most Boeing 747F's open up via the nose and by a large cargo door near the rear end. I imagine this one does the same tricks ? :)

I believe it's a 'swing-tail' as opposed the conventional side cargo door near the rear.

Member for

18 years 11 months

I know little about winglets, however from the extract on the -400D I read it becomes apparent that winglets cause wing stresses. I am going to assume that the LCF uses the original -400 wing (would have to be designed and built from scratch if a new wing was required), and perhaps the unusual shape increases wing stresses and winglets would push these stresses beyond normally safe operating limits,

Just my assumptions which are likely wrong, but schmeh - the more opinions the better ;)

W

Member for

24 years 8 months

I believe it's a 'swing-tail' as opposed the conventional side cargo door near the rear.

A rear loader then... ;)