Top Telly :: Collision Course

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

BBC2 will be showing Collision Course this evening at 21:00hrs.

Here's what it is about:

The final edition of the documentaru series reports on the events leading up to the crash-landing of a Boeing 737 onto the M1 near Kegworth in 1989. The film features four survivors who recall their experiences of the impact and the following 8 and a half hour rescue operation.

Was a British Midland wasn't it? I've read about this one. The Videoplus+ number in case anyone wants it is 6605.

Also, there is Airline on ITV1 at 17:30hrs which features Katrina leaving easyJet. Not sure if that one is a repeat or not.

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

RE: Top Telly :: Collision Course

cheers m8 - looking forward to that!

Member for

24 years 8 months

Why dont we get all this..... x(

Member for

24 years 8 months

yeah, a fairly new British Midland 737-400 en route LHR to either BFS or DUB, can't remember which in '89.
There was an engine fire, the engine was shut down, and the flight crew consulted with BD dispatch, who said bring the plane back to Castle Donnington.

Anyway, it crashed a mile or two short of the runway at EMA, when the power failed. (as it appeared, the wrong engine had been turned off... :S)

Member for

24 years 8 months

Just in case this doesn't get pointed out in the program there is one thing that is worth bearing in mind. When the crew shut down the wrong engine (having misinterpreted the reading on a gauge the size of a 20p piece) the autothrottle then automatically increased the thrust on the remaining engine to maintain the aircraft performance. This increase took the engine speed out of the vibration band for this particular problem and gave a false sense that everything was now ok. Admittedly the crew made some big mistakes but it would be very easy to make out that they were complete dunces, which they weren't.

Here's hoping for some good reporting.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Would be interesting to see, but it clashes with Liverpool v Sheff Uted! Will probably record it. The Airline one is a repeat, definately seen Katrina leave before.

Member for

24 years 8 months

That's one hell of a report! It analyses the ages of all of crew, how long they have been trained to fly the aircraft (in the case of the Pilot and Co-Pilot) and how long they have been qualified to work in the cabin (in the case of the Cabin Crew) - Flights hours on an aircraft, rest period since last flight and more..

I just had to find out how many words there were in that report - 65,000!!

Member for

24 years 8 months

That is basically the same as a public enquiry into the accident

Member for

24 years 8 months

I think all the Airline episodes shown on ITV1 at 17.30 are just a whole load of previous clips joined together. They don't seem to co-ordinate with each other. One minute Stellios is floating EZY on the FTSE, the next minute it is Christmas.

Member for

24 years 8 months

For Stellios,it WAS Christmas!

Member for

24 years 8 months

That BMA crash happened a couple of weeks after Lockerbie, I remember finishing college for the Christmas hols to the news of Lockerbie and starting back in the new year to the news of Kegworth ! I think I've seen the show before actually, if it's the same one it has some compelling human interest stories, but not too much in depth crash analysis.

Member for

24 years 8 months

yea ren it was that one - quite interesting tho!

Member for

24 years 8 months

Thought provoking program. It didn't follow the course I had expected, which was probably a good thing as that has been done many times before.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Dare I say but I found that programme quite dull at times. I found they drifted off topic quite a lot and covered grounds which were in no way related to the Kegworth disaster.

One thing I did like was the special effects at the beginning when the computer animation showed the driver's point of view then the 737 smashing down in front of it.. very dramatic.

And there were more than four survivors, why didn't they speak to more. Being a sensitive topic, some may not want to speak about it, but surely more than 4 would be willing to talk of the flight.

Overall, it wasn't bad. Rather impressive to see such an aviation-related programme on the BBC.

Member for

24 years 8 months

The first in the 3 part series was about the Southall train crash and showed much more about the actual sequence of events during the 8 seconds it took from first impact to the wreckage coming to a halt. I had hoped that this program would have been more technical than emotional. Good program overall but the emotional dominanace did cause me to turn over to catch the last 10 minutes of 'Wife Swap' instead!

Member for

24 years 8 months

missed it myself...

Wish I hadn't bothered with the Liverpool game, though... not the most entertaining game I've seen this season...