737 Rudder Modifications

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 7 months

Reading recently about a number of incidents / accidents during the 1990s which were allegedly caused by rudder jams. I understand that the FAA have issued an airworthiness directive which requires compliance by 2008.

Just wondered, does this apply to UK aircraft and if so, does anyone know what the status of the UK fleet is in this regard?

Thanks in advance

John

Original post

Member for

24 years 6 months

The FAA only governs US planes and planes that fly to the US. So if you happen to have a G-registered BBJ and fly a lot to the US, then you would have to make the mods.

Mind you, normally the European autorities are quick to follow FAA airworthiness directives. Likewise, the FAA follows the JAA when they issue a directive. When safety is concerned there should be no corner cutting. Besides, chances are Boeing will make it a mandatory directive themselves thus bypassing the need of the JAA to do anything but rubberstamp the Boeing directive.

Member for

24 years 6 months

Re 737 Rudders mods

Hi John...Go into www.Boeing 737 Technical Site...all the info' you require is within...I have myself been very concerned at the situation extant ..but have been assured, all UK a/c are complying to the latest 'instructions' from Boeing.. regards David..

Reading recently about a number of incidents / accidents during the 1990s which were allegedly caused by rudder jams. I understand that the FAA have issued an airworthiness directive which requires compliance by 2008.

Just wondered, does this apply to UK aircraft and if so, does anyone know what the status of the UK fleet is in this regard?

Thanks in advance

John

Member for

19 years 2 months

Weird, I have just recomended that site for a completely different thread. :)

Not sure if that link is working bud, try this :-

http://www.b737.org.uk/index.htm

As you say, lots of rudder info.

Cheers

Kev :)

Member for

17 years 7 months

Thanks for the links, and a great website :)

Regards

John