Flight cabin crew requirements

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 11 months

Had an interesting question from a friend that i couldnt answer, so i thought id ask here.

If a cabin crew member is unable to operate a flight for whatever reason - late arrival to work (so that it would delay the aircraft if they wait for them to turn up) or suddenly taken ill whilst on the ground, therefore meaning that there is no longer the aircrafts full complement of crew crew, can the aircraft still fly?

Is the aircraft allowed to operate the flight as normal when there are only for example 7 cabin crew members, when there shoudl normally be 8?

i guess this situation must occur, so what happens when it does?

thanks

Original post

Member for

18 years 7 months

Just a little guess, but I'd think the plane would be on the ground until another crew member arrives. After all, its for the passengers' safety.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Some airlines probably have 1 more crew than needed, in case this happens, then they will be down to the minimum and therefore can still operate the flight

Scott

Member for

18 years 9 months

Cabin Crew also work days 'on call' like eg Doctors, so that if there is a short fall for whatever reason there are crew ready to come into work asap

Member for

19 years 1 month

Most aircraft operate with more than the standard minimum crew on board, so if one is ill they are able to operate with less than 'normal' but still in legal limits.

However an aircraft will never leave base with less than full crew on-board, and this is why they have stand-bys. If they need to operate with -1 CCM then this is done when the company is unable to provide an extra crew member without delaying the flight. IN that case, the crew follow Op. procedures which re-allocate duties to the remaining members, such as door arming and cross checking and emergeny evacuation procedures. It's because of situations such as this that crew manuals are so thick!

Member for

20 years 1 month

My brother is on stand-by today, so if he goes out, he has to take all his uniform and whatever else with him incase Monarch phone him.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Most aircraft operate with more than the standard minimum crew on board, so if one is ill they are able to operate with less than 'normal' but still in legal limits.

Low cost operators (Easy, Ryanair, Baby) operate with minimum crew. No "extras".

However an aircraft will never leave base with less than full crew on-board

Not necessarily true. Minimum cabin crew for a 319 in 130 seat config is 3. However if pax load is limited to 100 then minimum crew required is 2.

exmpa

Member for

19 years 1 month

Low cost operators (Easy, Ryanair, Baby) operate with minimum crew. No "extras".

I was referring to sectors where crew overnight - such as charters and scheduled long hauls - not lo/co back at base flights.

Not necessarily true. Minimum cabin crew for a 319 in 130 seat config is 3. However if pax load is limited to 100 then minimum crew required is 2.

Depends on what the return loads are like, most will still always operate with a full crew because delays, reroutings, a/c changes all take place and for maximum operational flexibility a full crew is used. By full crew I mean company's full crew not stat. mins.

Phil :D

Member for

21 years 1 month

As you are seeing this isn't as simple a subject as you might think.

Put simply, for each aircraft type there is a minimum number of crew laid down by the CAA, or 'required crew' as they refer to it. This is generally (but not exclusively) 1 per 50 seats, or 1 per pair of doors on a narrowbodied aircraft, or 1 per door on a widebodied aircraft, whichever is greater. Other arrangements can be made between an airline and the CAA to suit specific needs of the operation.

Beyond that minimum, how many crew an airline has on an aircraft type and how it deals with shortfalls in crew is up to them really.

At BA, longhaul types each have a set number of crew, shorthaul types depend on length of flight and number of pax in each cabin. We will never leave base with less crew, airport standby's being used to provide top-up crew where needed. We will however fly with less crew if necessary to get a flight back to base.

1L.

Member for

19 years 1 month

At BA, longhaul types each have a set number of crew, shorthaul types depend on length of flight and number of pax in each cabin. We will never leave base with less crew, airport standby's being used to provide top-up crew where needed. We will however fly with less crew if necessary to get a flight back to base.

1L.

Hiya 1L that's what my understanding was, based upon XL airways SOP.

Member for

20 years 1 month

If a crew member falls ill down route, they will be offloaded, and the aircraft will run on min crew or -1.

We operate with 1 crew per 50 seats and not per pax, so if it was a full load a % of pax would be offloaded untill the next flight

Member for

19 years 5 months

If a crew member falls ill down route, they will be offloaded, and the aircraft will run on min crew or -1.

We operate with 1 crew per 50 seats and not per pax, so if it was a full load a % of pax would be offloaded untill the next flight

I bet your customers must absaloutely love that one! "Sorry you can't fly because we gotta go and your cabin crew member is late" ;)

Member for

18 years 3 months

That's not always the case. If he/she is fit to fly and there is a free seat on the return flight then they can come back as pax.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Same thing, really....

Crew member is off loaded from duties!