DO BMW MAKE AIRCRAFT ENGINES??

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 5 months

Hi everyone,
I know that this may sound stupid, but DO BMW MAKE AIRCRAFT ENGINES IN THEIR OWN RIGHT? I know that they own ROLLS ROYCE who make aircraft engines. The reason i am asking this question is because i have a wager with a friend who insists BMW make aero engines.
anybody who has written proof or anyone who has any documentation on this subject please paste it here
cheers

Original post

Member for

21 years 3 months

BMW in collaboration with RR produces the BR700 family of engines which can be found on the B717 and MD95. So BMW is a division of the RR engine division and BMW produces their own line of engines not found in the RR line. I would say that BMW makes aircraft engines.

Member for

24 years 8 months

BMW started out with making Aero engines before Cars.

From the BMW website History section...

BMW is set up in Munich during World War 1 as the successor to Rapp Motoren-Werke, an aircraft engine plant founded in 1913, and becomes a plc in 1918. Its first product is the IIIa aircraft engine containing Max Friz's altitude carburettor, which, in comparison to rival products, greatly decreases loss of performance at high altitude.

In fact, the IIIa engine powered the Red Baron's biplane.

Whether or not they still make Aero engines in their own right is debatable, though...

Member for

24 years 8 months

Having looked in Brassey's World Aircraft & Systems Directory (99/00 Edition, I don't have anything more recent) BMW does not appear to produce any aircraft engines in their own right.

Member for

20 years

If BMW own Rolls Royce, wouldn't it be safe to say that they indeed indirectly manufacture jet engines! After all, before they began designing cars, they built engines for WWII fighters such as the Me109 and the Fw-190.

Member for

20 years 11 months

If BMW own Rolls Royce, wouldn't it be safe to say that they indeed indirectly manufacture jet engines! After all, before they began designing cars, they built engines for WWII fighters such as the Me109 and the Fw-190.

I think Rolls Royce Aero Engines is a different company from the Rolls Royce car manufacturer. Though I'm not entirely sure.

Member for

21 years 3 months

I think Rolls Royce Aero Engines is a different company from the Rolls Royce car manufacturer. Though I'm not entirely sure.

From the Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Limited website...

The company had been owned by British defence group Vickers plc since 1980, and was sold to the highest bidder – Volkswagen – in 1998. The German car maker took control of Bentley and the factory in Crewe, Cheshire but the rights to the famous Rolls-Royce name and iconic Spirit of Ecstasy symbol were retained by aero engine manufacturer Rolls-Royce plc.

These rights were then granted to BMW: it was a fitting move as the two companies have long collaborated on aero engine projects. While a new production facility and, of course, the entirely new Phantom were developed by the newly formed Project Rolls-Royce (later Rolls-Royce Motor Cars), it was agreed that Volkswagen would continue to build cars wearing the Spirit of Ecstasy at Crewe until the end of 2002. The next four years would be busy…

So the way that I read that is that BMW does in fact build engines but they do so under the borrowed RR name plate. So the Rolls-Royce BR700 family of engines that I mentioned earlier is truly a BMW engine with the RR slapped on the side. Does that sound right?

Member for

20 years 7 months

If they do I hope they perform better than the things they use in Formula 1 :D

Member for

24 years 8 months

SInce i hate 99% of all bmw drivers because they own the road so i hate 99% of all pilots who fly RR engines :diablo: :diablo:

Member for

20 years 11 months

SInce i hate 99% of all bmw drivers because they own the road so i hate 99% of all pilots who fly RR engines :diablo: :diablo:

only because you smashed into one :rolleyes:

Member for

24 years 8 months

Just to clarify things, BMW does NOT own Rolls Royce Aero Engines.

-Dazza

Member for

20 years 11 months

Just to clarify things, BMW does NOT own Rolls Royce Aero Engines.

-Dazza

Thank god too.

Member for

24 years 8 months

I agree, one of the few pieces of 'family silver' that hasn't been sold off to the highest bidder!

-Dazza

Member for

20 years 11 months

I agree, one of the few pieces of 'family silver' that hasn't been sold off to the highest bidder!

-Dazza

Not only that, but BMWs quality has been slipping in these past few years.

I have several friends a family that have bought various BMW cars in the last 3 years, all of them are finding bits are falling off, cars breaking down on the way home from the dealer. Speedos not working, fuel tanks falling off. Steering tracking going off centre while simply driving on the motorway (god knows how that happens!)

Still, at least the engines don't shut off of their own accord, like ford Focuses.

Anyway back on topic... thank the maker BMW don't have their fingers in RR Aero. :D

Member for

19 years 5 months

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appciated

Member for

24 years 8 months

RR Aero Engines is a separate company not owned by BMW. Rools Royce cars were bought by VW together with Bently, but Rolls Royce was then transfered to BMW. Bently is still controlled by VW.

BMW Areo Engines is today Rolls Royce Germany.