Ryanair sells Boeing 737 - 200 fleet for $10M !!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 6 months

Ryanair Holding plc, Europe’s No. 1 low fare airline, today (Monday, 4th October 2004) announced that it had sold its fleet of 20 Boeing 737-200 aircraft to Autodirect Aviation LLC (“Autodirect”) including spare engines and parts for a total consideration of $10m.

The 20 Boeing 737-200 aircraft were manufactured between 1980 and 1983 and 6 of the 20 aircraft have already been retired by Ryanair from operation. The remaining 14 will be delivered to Autodirect post their scheduled retirement between November 2004 and December 2005. The aircraft, spare parts and engines will be fully depreciated at their date of disposal and accordingly, there is no gain or loss arising on their disposal.

Autodirect is a US based corporation, which supplies used aircraft and spare parts to the airline industry.

Speaking on today’s announcement, Ryanair’s Deputy Chief Executive, Howard Millar said:

"We are pleased to have reached an agreement deal with Autodirect to sell our Boeing 737-200 aircraft on their retirement from the Ryanair fleet. By the end of next year, Ryanair will have one of the youngest aircraft fleets in Europe and be the largest operator of Boeing Next Generation 737 aircraft.

The move to an all new Boeing 737-800 fleet offers enhanced comfort for our passengers and ensures that Ryanair will continue to offer even more low fares to the 27.5 million European passengers we expect to carry this fiscal year. The all new aircraft fleet will also strengthen our position as the lowest cost airline in Europe”.

Source: www.ryanair.com

If you want to fly on one of them you better be quick!! They will be gone before you know it. Shame really - I love the roar they make when they take off. Every Ryanair flight I have been on has been a 738 :( . The ex buzz Boeing 737-300s will also be retired on 1st November 2004.

Original post

Member for

20 years 9 months

Well we knew it would happen sooner or later.

Member for

20 years 5 months

:( this is a sad day no more lovely noisy Ryanair 737-200s.You mighnt reliase it now but youll miss them.Some of the last classic airliners flying in Europe.

Member for

20 years 4 months

:( this is a sad day no more lovely noisy Ryanair 737-200s.You mighnt reliase it now but youll miss them.Some of the last classic airliners flying in Europe.

What's changed? We already knew that they were being retired. All that's happened is a buyer has been found. December 2005 is longer than I thought they would be staying in service for though?!
I probably will miss hearing them at EDI ;) , it'll take something special for me to get on one now before they are retired!

Member for

24 years 6 months

Exactly the reason why I took myself off to Shannon last week on one of the remaining 732's. Another airliner classic soon to be consigned to the history books. (sniff) :(

Good post Dan. :)

Attachments

Member for

20 years 1 month

Nice piccy! Well, I guess we have to do with the EAL B732s as they hace no plans the replace them yet!

NOTE: Hey look! When I posted this my amount of posts was 732!! lol :p

Member for

21 years 3 months

December 2005!!! Thats dragging it out a bit!!

Member for

21 years 3 months

Sold them!..amazing......scrap them.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Scrap them why?.Dont be stupid.Even if you hate Ryanair this isnt really a Ryanair matter its the fact that the 200s some of the last claasic airliners will soon be gone.

Member for

20 years 4 months

Scrap them why?.Dont be stupid.Even if you hate Ryanair this isnt really a Ryanair matter its the fact that the 200s some of the last claasic airliners will soon be gone.

I guess Moondance is just being realistic. It's not the end of the world.
We managed to cope with the retirement of Concorde( now that was sad ;) ) I'm sure this'll be a lot easier to get over ;) ....

Member for

21 years 3 months

Nothing to do with Ryanair, they are ancient technology - high time, high cycle (remember the 737 cabriolet in Hawaii?), noisy, gas guzzling dinosaurs (and an absolute pain to fly compared to modern equipment). They are obsolete lumps of tin, nothing more - drag them off to the scrapyard!

Look at the state of this one...

Attachments

Member for

21 years 3 months

Its more than likely they will all be scrapped. Reading the article the company they are selling them too is basically a scrap merchants, who try and sell on the aircraft where possible. With all the associated problems with Ryanairs 732s and the abundance of higher quality aircraft on the market I can't see any of them being flown again.

Member for

21 years 2 months

Very strange that they have sold them! All the better for Ryanair.

I thought I was gonna have to change my signature, but then saw it was DEC 05. Might squeeze another 732 flight in addition to my flight in FEB before then :)

Member for

19 years 11 months

What aircraft will take over the routes to Dublin? There isn't the capacity for a 738 and as dan777 said the 733 are going as well.

Member for

24 years 6 months

Nothing to do with Ryanair, they are ancient technology - high time, high cycle (remember the 737 cabriolet in Hawaii?), noisy, gas guzzling dinosaurs (and an absolute pain to fly compared to modern equipment). They are obsolete lumps of tin, nothing more - drag them off to the scrapyard!

Bloody pilots, not a sentimental bone in their bodies. :dev2: :diablo: :p :D ;)

Member for

21 years 3 months

Bloody pilots, not a sentimental bone in their bodies

Now if you were talking about Barra........

Member for

21 years

cool ill be on a 737-200 then wen i go to dub in feb or april from bristol :)

Member for

24 years 6 months

so this means the axe for London Stansted to City of Derry airport then as runway will not be expanded and they cant take 738s!

Member for

20 years 5 months

YES she looks fantastic!!!!!

Member for

20 years 4 months

I think they will be scrapped to feed the South American and African operators with spare parts.

Member for

24 years 6 months

also come to think of it Donegal route must be being dropped as its runway JUST!! copes with a 732. Ryanair must be going to loose a few routes due to runway lengths!!