Dan Air crash

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 10 months

I am very interested in the crash of Dan Air 727-100 at TFN during 1981. I have searched the net and found very few details of this crash. Any helpful info would be appreciated.

Original post

Member for

21 years

Date of Accident: 25 April 1980
Airline: Danair
Aircraft: Boeing 727-64
Previous Registrations: JA8318
Flight Number: 1008
Fatalities: 146:146
MSN: 19279
Line Number: 288
Engine Manufacturer: Pratt & Whitney
Engine Model: JT8D-7
Year of Delivery: 1966
Accident Description: The aircraft crashed while in a holding pattern. The pilow overflew the clearance limits of the hold which put the aircraft into an area of high terrain.

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi_bin/view_details.cgi?date=04251980&reg=G-BDAN&airline=Danair

Member for

19 years 10 months

Saw the crash site a few weeks later - lots of broken trees and scorched earth. Not a pretty sight.

146 souls - RIP

Member for

19 years 10 months

Were you in Tenerife, near to Los Rodeos LTN? This airport,TFN, has an appaling safety record. Is there a memorial plaque or anything for this or indeed the 1977 collision? If not, why not?

Member for

19 years 10 months

The crash site was, from memory, a few miles west of Los Rodeos on the slopes of Mount Teide.

On the same trip I visited Los Rodeos (and went again last year). On both occasions I was surprised that 747s would have visited such a small airport (although at least one of them had diverted from LPA (which I haven't visited, but I guess is larger).

On neither trip did I see any memorial. Of course that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Member for

20 years 8 months

The crash site was, from memory, a few miles west of Los Rodeos on the slopes of Mount Teide.

On the same trip I visited Los Rodeos (and went again last year). On both occasions I was surprised that 747s would have visited such a small airport (although at least one of them had diverted from LPA (which I haven't visited, but I guess is larger).

On neither trip did I see any memorial. Of course that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Both had diverted.

It was a sad twist of fate that neither the Pan Am 747 or the KLM 747 should have been at Los Rodeos.

In anohter bitter twist of fast, the Pan Am 747 was actually ready to go 45 mins before the KLM 747 but because of the parking arrangments, the KLM jet need to move first, which meant Pan Am Clipper Victor (the 747 involved) had to wait.

If the KLM jet was just 10 more meters to the right, the Pan Am jet could have got passed and this incident may well never have happend.

Talk about fate eh!

Member for

19 years 10 months

They had diverted but TFN was very busy in those days, as it was the only airport and received a lot of charter traffic, including wide-bodies.

The dan-air plabe G_BDAN was inbound from Manchester. Those poor people, all holidaymakers looking forward to a couple of weeks sunshine. The crash seems to have got very little coverage, despite the loss of British life.

I find TFN a very eerie airport and its history makes one shudder!