Question about DC-6.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

At the Lelystad airshow I noticed something odd on the Air Atlantic DC-6 (G-APSA). Behind the right wing there is a small hatch with above it the text "alcohol tank 16.5 u.s. gals capacity".

Now I know that the English tend to like alcohol, but I don't think the tank will be for personal consumption. Besides, you'd need the hatch to be inside the cabin and not outside! :D

So, obvious question, why is it there and what does the alcohol do?

I attached a pic to prove I am not fooling you.

Original post

Member for

21 years

Hi,

I think it means fuel.

Nationwide Air

Member for

24 years 8 months

Alcohol for fuel?

Well, it keeps me going, but an airplane? I never heard of that!

Member for

21 years

Hi,

Its the only thing it could be!

Nationwide Air :)

Member for

24 years 8 months

I don't think a DC6 is going to get very far using fuel tanks of just 16.5 US gallons!

On some turbine engines (including thos used in the F27, 748, 747-100) you can inject a mixture of methanol and water immediately before the combution chamber during the take off roll which gives you an increase in thust. Bearing in mind the DC6 is a piston aircraft the same physics would not directly apply but perhaps it is used as a fuel additive for improved energy output. Alternatively could it be used as an additive which would suppress ice crystals forming in the fuel with low temperatures at altitude.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Peter.

I may be wrong but I believe at least one of Atlantic's DC-6's is rigged for spraying. I think it may be for dispersal of oil slicks. If, I'm right, wouldn't alcohol break up the oil? The only other thing i can think of is whether the alcohol is used for some kind of on board de-icing device.

A very interesting question.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

21 years

Hi,

Yes, a very intresting topic!

Nationwide Air

Member for

24 years 8 months

Quite a few years ago, spirits such as gin and vodka were so cheap to servicemen in Germany that on occasion I put them into my car's windsceen washer bottle during the winter as they were very effective...............:D

Member for

21 years 4 months

I think it's for De Icing

Member for

21 years 4 months

Water Methanol, ie. is an Alcohol. Used on the 6 for more power on take off at high weights and high altitude airfields.

F/O that i fly with has 3,000 hours on them.

BTW, your gonna love the Red Bull DC6 which should be flying soon, best 6 in the world bar none.

Spotty M Driver.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Thanks all!

Will the Red Bull DC-6 be touring Europe?

Member for

21 years 4 months

Yes, its gonna be used as a Promo aircraft. Not only will it tour Europe, but North America and maybe further afield!!
Mind i think Red Bull is banned in France, so perhaps they'll give France a miss

Bottom line this 6 is going to be fully functioning, including the pressurisation!! The rebuild is seriously comprehensive, on a very low houred aircraft anyhow.
The list of goodies, GPS and much else they've fitted is great, whilst keeping originality as best they can.

Spotty M Driver.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Maybe it's to launch the engines? Aircrafts use heavy fuel right , ignition need a higher temp ?
Just an idea ...