A car blows up a parking lot at Santander airport.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 6 months

A car exploded in a parking lot at Santander airport.
The police received a call from ETA a few minute before.

Maybe Keltic will know more

Original post

Member for

24 years 6 months

MADRID (Reuters) - A car bomb has blown up in a car park at Santander airport in northern Spain after a warning by the armed Basque separatist group ETA, police say.

There were no immediate reports of casualties.

Local media said a plume of smoke was rising from the airport parking lot, which lies close to the coast.

A Basque newspaper had received a call minutes earlier in the name of ETA warning of the explosion, officials said.

Santander is a busy port and seaside resort packed with holidaymakers during the summer.

The explosion follows a week of renewed activity by ETA following a lull in attacks.

A bomb exploded outside a Spanish courthouse, injuring a man, after a warning from ETA on Friday and two home-made bombs blew up in the troubled Basque country the same day.

Two bombs exploded at Spanish seaside resorts on Tuesday, injuring 13 people, in what authorities called the start of ETA's traditional summer bombing campaign aimed at undermining the crucial tourist sector.

ETA, branded a terrorist organisation by the United States and the European Union, has killed more than 800 people in a three-decade campaign for an independent Basque state in northern Spain and southwestern France.

Member for

24 years 6 months

ETA seem more intent on worrying people rather than injuring or killing though sadly any event such as this can only damage the Spanish tourism industry. Anyway, lucky nobody was hurt. It seems similar to what happened at Malaga.

Member for

24 years 6 months

Out of interest, as ETA want their Basque state to be carved out of Spain and France, why do they only seem to use violence against Spain and not the French?

Member for

24 years 6 months

Why is it out of interest?

Member for

24 years 6 months

Because the targets always seem to be Spanish never French. I didn't actually know France featured in this issue until I read this post. Is there more autonomy for Basques in France?

Member for

24 years 6 months

Originally posted by mongu
Because the targets always seem to be Spanish never French. I didn't actually know France featured in this issue until I read this post. Is there more autonomy for Basques in France?

Not really. Historically , the spanish part of Basque country has been more rebel.
Many ETA members hidde in France.
Some bombing took place in France in the 80's and the 90's but it has never been as bad as in Spain

Member for

24 years 6 months

Thanks Hand.

Member for

21 years 2 months

Your not safe anywhere these days