JASSM vs STORM SHADOW/SCALP EG vs TAURUS KEPD 350

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 10 months

And finally you hit the nail on the head "then you must increase the weight of the airframe".

Sure. Have fun.

Member for

20 years 3 months

I found some more info

Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile (JASSM) http://www.defense-update.com/products/j/jassm.htm
STORM SHADOW / SCALP EG http://www.defense-update.com/products/s/storm-shadow.htm
TAURUS KEPD 350 http://www.defense-update.com/products/k/KEPD350.htm

This is interesting

Fusion of sensor data from three sensors provides reliable autonomous navigation. The sensors package include IBN (Image Based Navigation), TRN (Terrain Reference Navigation) and MIL-GPS (Global Positioning System) subsystems. The use of such fusion enables the Taurus KEPD 350 to navigate over long distances without GPS support.

Member for

19 years 1 month

I disagree that the use of SDB will render those weapons useless. They were not aimed at fighting a war such as those which western countries engage at present (ie Yougoslavia, Iraq or Afghanistan), but it was designed for another type of mission set in a much more dense war environment. I don't see how they could be replaced by SDB if a major conflict ever broke out.

Then the US probably would be able to hit important and very well defended targets thanks to their stealth AC/and missiles combo... for european nations it would be more difficult, and those type of missles would definately be required. Of course their price would render them reserved to high priority targets, but I'm sure there would be plenty of those to chose from if the hit was to ever hit the fan.

Nic

Member for

18 years 8 months

Look at the size of this thing!

Member for

20 years 9 months

I disagree that the use of SDB will render those weapons useless. They were not aimed at fighting a war such as those which western countries engage at present (ie Yougoslavia, Iraq or Afghanistan), but it was designed for another type of mission set in a much more dense war environment. I don't see how they could be replaced by SDB if a major conflict ever broke out.

Then the US probably would be able to hit important and very well defended targets thanks to their stealth AC/and missiles combo... for european nations it would be more difficult, and those type of missles would definately be required. Of course their price would render them reserved to high priority targets, but I'm sure there would be plenty of those to chose from if the hit was to ever hit the fan.

Nic

1. agreed - an SDB-only force would surely be inadequate.

USAF A2G doctrine for the next decade or so would involve JASSM and JSOW launched from long range to take out heavily defended radars, SAM sites, C3I installations etc. even to close to 60 miles (SDB range) with F-22/35 would place the aircraft in danger, especially given the capabilities of S-300 level opposition. once the big radars and SAMs are taken out you could mass-plink enemies with masses of SDBs.

in any case SDB lacks the warhead weight to take out larger/well-protected targets.

2. i think the JASSM vs SCALP/TAURUS debate is quite a simple one. JASSM offers less capability (shorter range, smaller warhead) for much lower cost and reduced RCS and size/drag.

i emphasise the much lower cost; you could buy 2 or 3 JASSMs for one SCALP-EG. SDB is very cheap too. american emphasis on cheap weapons in recent years is a very good choice IMO, given their large scale of operations.

Member for

19 years 1 month

"mass-plink"... lol... I like it

Now the Adl'A also emphasies on cheap weapons with for instance the AASM... which is a good combination with Scalp/Apache.

Nic

Member for

18 years 7 months

"mass-plink"... lol... I like it

Now the Adl'A also emphasies on cheap weapons with for instance the AASM... which is a good combination with Scalp/Apache.

Nic

desagree: AASM is clever weapon (modular; multisensor, etc) but the price is (depending of options) between 75,000 and 100,000 Euro, while a JDAM is 18,000 $...

Member for

18 years 9 months

in due course I figure Fr will certainly produce simpler, cheaper AASM like unimode Galileo guided jdam clones.

Member for

19 years 7 months

A question regarding Storm Shadow/Scalp:

Is the production shared between UK/France, i.e. do British Storm Shadows have Frenchbuilt components and do French Sclaps have British built components? And what about the exports?

Member for

18 years 8 months

MBDA is the manufacturer of the missile. Matra BAe Dynamics-UK is the main UK contractor and Matra BAe Dynamics-France the main French contractor. The two parts of the same company handled the international co-operation work, reducing project management overhead. Practically Storm Shadow/Scalp EG is based on the french Apache missile. The two parts of Matra BAe Dynamics act as separate Prime Contractors and hold the individual Storm Shadow and SCALP EG contracts for their respective national Governments.