USAF adds IRST pod for F-15C

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 5 months

It is interesting that the both the USAF and USN see fit to go to considerable lengths and expense to fit IRST systems to their aircraft.

I wonder why....

Member for

16 years 2 months

Does anybody else find it ironic that you don't hear of Americans really bragging about beating such and such in a DACT but when the opposite happens its all over the web? I can't even remember the last time I heard about something from the U.S. winning over seas other than the F-22... we must be such a joke.... wait I know who Id rather not face if I were an opposing nation...

Member for

14 years 5 months

Does anybody else find it ironic that you don't hear of Americans really bragging about beating such and such in a DACT but when the opposite happens its all over the web?

Being devils advocate... potentially they don't brag because they never win? :diablo: :D

Member for

19 years 2 months

Being devils advocate... potentially they don't brag because they never win? :diablo: :D

Yeah, that must be it. :rolleyes: More like they're expected to win, so it's only newsworthy if they lose.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Does anybody else find it ironic that you don't hear of Americans really bragging about beating such and such in a DACT but when the opposite happens its all over the web? I can't even remember the last time I heard about something from the U.S. winning over seas other than the F-22... we must be such a joke.... wait I know who Id rather not face if I were an opposing nation...

There's a video on here somewhere, when an F-15 pilot was talking out his a@# about how the Indian Su-30's TVC was not good and isn't really effective in battle, during the Red Flag pratice in 09, anybody with half a brain can tell he was lying/exaggerating buy his laungage/body movements.

Member for

16 years 2 months

There's a video on here somewhere, when an F-15 pilot was talking out his a@# about how the Indian Su-30's TVC was not good and isn't really effective in battle, during the Red Flag pratice in 09, anybody with half a brain can tell he was lying/exaggerating buy his laungage/body movements.

Oh Ive seen it.... and you have no idea whether he is talking out of his ass or not. I know the Flanker fanboys love to think that the mighty TVC equipped Flanker destroys Eagles like they were WW1 spads... but its not the case. Might I add that he was very complimentary in his statements about the Indians and their Flankers. TVC used improperly will kill energy... fact... thats what he said.

Member for

17 years 10 months

OR... Our radar and defensive electronics have progressed faster than optics thereby negating the need for IRST.

Now, with the advent of VLO fighters and the ROW catching up with radar tech and defensive electronics, we have decided that an advanced IRST would be a good addition to have.

In all fairness its not like they were naked in this regard. Their optical search capabilities have always been a mystery to the public and it may or may not have been an irst of some form. Obviously they felt the need for some improvement, and they have chosen a very public way to promote it. Makes me wonder if there isn't more to the upgrade.

Member for

19 years 2 months

IRST's were common for interceptors of the 60's. So basically it's playing catch up.

It's all about $$$$. "We need to save some money, so what can we do without?" Always has been.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Japanese F-15 have IRST

http://art1.photozou.jp/pub/892/152892/photo/15583298.jpg

Does anyone here know the designation of such device? Is it a FLIR or an IRST? Thanks in advance;);)

Member for

17 years 10 months

Does anyone here know the designation of such device? Is it a FLIR or an IRST? Thanks in advance;);)

It's IRST.

Attachments

Member for

24 years 6 months

Thanks for posting !

Do You know anything about its status ?? will it be only for testing or is it planned to be used in front-line use ?

Deino

Member for

16 years 8 months

It's IRST.

Does anyone here know its designation? Thanks again ;)

Member for

18 years

Oh Ive seen it.... and you have no idea whether he is talking out of his ass or not. I know the Flanker fanboys love to think that the mighty TVC equipped Flanker destroys Eagles like they were WW1 spads... but its not the case. Might I add that he was very complimentary in his statements about the Indians and their Flankers. TVC used improperly will kill energy... fact... thats what he said.

The guy is a professional fighter pilot addressing a group of his peers. If he valued his credibility, he wouldn't be making wild claims or exagerrations in front of people who most likely were present at the event and have access to the same info that he does. Especially when it is being recorded.

Now, of course if this was all a propaganda exercise and he was a willing stooge in front of a bogus audience, that's another possibility but somehow I doubt it. I don't think that's in the job description for USAF pilots. Anyway, truth is, the USAF pilots were well prepared after extensive exercises vs the supermaneuverable F-22 and they applied the lessons learned rather well vs the Flankers within the established ROEs.

Bottom line is one can only hope the IAF came away having learned a few lessons as well. That was the objective of the exercise after all.

Member for

17 years 10 months

Does anyone here know its designation? Thanks again ;)

The designation is unknown yet.

Member for

17 years 10 months

Thanks for posting !

Do You know anything about its status ?? will it be only for testing or is it planned to be used in front-line use ?

Deino

F-15J Multistage Improvement Program has two stages and the second stage includes IRST. The Second stage will start in 2011-12.

Member for

24 years 6 months

AAQ-1?

Member for

17 years 10 months

J/AAQ-1 is TIE for U-125A.
J/AAQ-2 is FLIR for F-2.
So, maybe J/AAQ-3.

Attachments