Mig-31's Top Speed With Weapons Load

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 1 month

The only thing, related to the "glass problem", that i managed to find is a short conversation in the comments section under this photo: http://russianplanes.net/id157916

And i didn't find any news about some production of canopies or news about speed-limit has been lifted. Honestly, i'm sure i would be aware of that, if some official news have been released. So i presume this info is based on some rumours and speculations in our Russian aerospace-Web segment.

MIG-35 and MIG-29K are Mach 2 plus they may not spend that much time at those speeds but making canopy dealing with mach 1.5 is far easier.

Member for

12 years 10 months

Is this official or some rumours from insiders? Wasn't aware of such significant change in situation.

MoD wont be bothered to give out press releases about new production canopies for MiG-31, that is not necessary for anyone. So nothing official in that sense no, but just look up pictures of newly delivered MiG-31BSM's. And atleast two sources (one of which is MiG-31BM pilot) confirmed it to be true.

Member for

13 years 11 months

You can tell the new canopies pretty easily in photos, the tint is a very different blue (yellowish before).

Member for

9 years

List is pretty obvious and predictable, just like for any other old airplane:

3) Overall technical and conceptual obsolescence of Zaslon FCR - in comparison to the new FCRs with significantly greater capabilities, as N035 Irbis.

So i guess.. not every plane in the fleet got the Zaslon AM eh..

Member for

24 years 8 months

The 1 minute limit refers to flight above Mach 2.3, if I understand the chart correctly. Vmax itself is limited to 6 minutes, read here.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]244805[/ATTACH]

That time limitations are given by heating, be it the fuselage or the engine. All above Mach 1,8 generates a severe heat-stress, when not built for that.

Member for

24 years 8 months

What structural limits made it useless as an interceptor? Aged canopies? They obviously think it's very unique and important to them, otherwise they wouldn't scramble to upgrade as many as they viably can and start worrying about its successor.

The canopies required a material made by using a special technology which was seemingly not needed at least since the end of the MiG-31 production which was like 20+ years ago (so probably even more for canopies). Why is it surprising that the capacity to make more is not readily available?

The MiG-31 got its new engine to allow operating it against low-flying threats, like cruise missile, doing so at subsonic speed below medium heights for its look down mode capable radar. Operating there or at speeds over Mach 2, both takes its toll in flight-hours left.

Member for

15 years 9 months

The MiG-31 got its new engine to allow operating it against low-flying threats, like cruise missile, doing so at subsonic speed below medium heights for its look down mode capable radar. Operating there or at speeds over Mach 2, both takes its toll in flight-hours left.

Yes, but it can fly high nd fast as well. The D-30 engines do operate pretty efficient up there.
It doesnt mean it fly supersonic much on regular patrol mission though..
Wonder if they plan to do any upgrade on the Cold section Fan..

Member for

10 years 3 months

Yes, but it can fly high nd fast as well. The D-30 engines do operate pretty efficient up there.
It doesnt mean it fly supersonic much on regular patrol mission though..
Wonder if they plan to do any upgrade on the Cold section Fan..

You both right, MiG-31 is Mig-25 successor and usually operates in the same, quite unique pattern: they both take off, just climb until they reach a very high quote and then both are able to into a higly supersonic cruise unaittainable by any other plane (until F-22).
Still Mig-31 was developed to operate also against a new kind of threath: low flying cruise misses and, even more deep strikeplanes like Tornado and F111 able to fly in a NAP mode.
So they needed to have good performances even at low-medium quotes, hence the quite radical changes in engines, weaponry and radar system, while the MiG-25 was abandoned even too prematurely.

Member for

13 years 3 months

I feeling blessed every time I see JSR post something and I'm oblivious to it all.. until someone ruin it with actually responding to his drivel..

Exactly. If you respond to drivel, you're an enabling the dissemination of more drivel.

Member for

16 years 1 month

...or may not...

Yes, I don't get it. Would you mind translate those Russian to English? What did he say?

Member for

10 years 4 months

Sorry, I'm pretty slow these days. What was the point you were trying to make (i.e. how does this relate to my post)?

Member for

24 years 8 months

Sorry, I'm pretty slow these days. What was the point you were trying to make (i.e. how does this relate to my post)?

The MiG-31 is something new. To keep it short. The inlet-system allows similar speeds of the MiG-25 very high up. But above Mach 2,35 it is time-limited from heat friction as well. To get more lifetime for the MiG-31, you will stay away from higher speeds whenever possible.