Japanese Stealth Fighter ADX Thread!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

9 years 4 months

They will need the engines for the F-35s.

Yes, but having the same engine would lower costs.

Member for

13 years 1 month

I'll look up those links on Secret Projects.

Yeah, F-2 was the first fighter fielded with an AESA radar IIRC. Perhaps a bit prematurely, but AFAIK the teething troubles were sorted out fairly soon.

F-2 was first fighter with AESA because it only thing they concentrated at era of abundance in money and time. To built factory for stealth fighter . you need factory for atleast 5000 workers and another 50,000 working in subcontractors. On top of several thousand in design team. Which is simply not possible in Japan. this thing is a flop.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Trust me, you can't find an engine more expensive than the F135 (besides the F119)...

Member for

24 years 8 months

Is this meant to be a dedicated twin seater? Coz the whole front section looks odd, as if it's been in some kind of ground collision and bent the fuselage.

It looks odd because the canopy and possibly the complete cockpit section has been borrowed from a T-4. Landing gear is from a T-2.
@ 17 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uxMG3n03uI

Member for

20 years 3 months

It would have been fun if the Japanese had painted it black and released a few grainy pictures only of the jet with no media briefing.
Would have certainly put the Chinese message boards in a tizzy. :D

Member for

13 years 8 months

It would have been fun if the Japanese had painted it black and released a few grainy pictures only of the jet with no media briefing.
Would have certainly put the Chinese message boards in a tizzy. :D

Only if the Japanese hadn't provided constant updates and information about the progress of the ATD-X since the project was announced back in the mid 2000s.

Also, the Chinese boards mostly follow Chinese military developments. I do think if the Japanese (or Indian, or UK, or French, or European, or US) projects maintained as high opsec as Chinese ones we'd be following them with as much intensity too though.

Member for

18 years

Trust me, you can't find an engine more expensive than the F135 (besides the F119)...

More than a hand full of commercial engines make them look inexpensive. Of course they are much larger.

Member for

12 years 9 months

It's a beautiful airframe. Superb design with interestingly a strong focus on high AoA (reviving somewhat their aircraft heritage).

Notice also how the palets have been altered by adding some stealth feature.

I can't wait to see it in flight.

Member for

9 years 4 months

More than a hand full of commercial engines make them look inexpensive. Of course they are much larger.

You know this is par for the course with msphere. He wants a 40k thrust. Engine made in Tiajuana, with 2 dollars and hour labor and that costs $300 USD. /eyeroll

Member for

19 years 3 months

Ah yes, Japan should abandon this foolish idea of designing & building anything & just buy American. Satellite launchers? Buy American! Scrap its capability! Satellites? The same! Warships, radars, missiles, tanks - why not everything?

Member for

13 years 10 months

Ok, so it's a tech demonstrator. What specific technologies are we talking about here?

Mecha transformation and fist-blade particle cannons, obviously.

I also think they have a lot to offer other island nations with a long and proud history of fighter development looking for something in the 2030/40 range.

Fiji? :eek:

It's a beautiful airframe.

Do you think so? The cockpit proportions make it look like a trainer. That aside, it looks depressingly conventional.

I am glad to see that Japan is progressing with the project and hope that it does indeed turn into a full-scale F-3 fighter, but at this point I'm not feeling the excitement.

Member for

11 years 4 months

Only if the Japanese hadn't provided constant updates and information about the progress of the ATD-X since the project was announced back in the mid 2000s.

Also, the Chinese boards mostly follow Chinese military developments. I do think if the Japanese (or Indian, or UK, or French, or European, or US) projects maintained as high opsec as Chinese ones we'd be following them with as much intensity too though.

Chinese boards are saying right now
ahaha, japanese stealth cant carry weapons. china did it first years ago!

Member for

11 years 4 months

Mecha transformation and fist-blade particle cannons, obviously.

Fiji? :eek:

Do you think so? The cockpit proportions make it look like a trainer. That aside, it looks depressingly conventional.

I am glad to see that Japan is progressing with the project and hope that it does indeed turn into a full-scale F-3 fighter, but at this point I'm not feeling the excitement.

it looks like a trainer because it IS a trainer. cockpit is straight out of T-4. just like how you're straight out of compton.

Member for

11 years 3 months

If you are operating Su-30s you'd probably be up for 4 engines over the lifetime of a single f135. For 3.5mill a pop and the additional maintenance of 2 engines vs 1, the pw would probably work out cheaper over time. Putting 2 in a plane though, nah.

Member for

14 years 6 months

You know this is par for the course with msphere. He wants a 40k thrust. Engine made in Tiajuana, with 2 dollars and hour labor and that costs $300 USD. /eyeroll
Did I say I wanted 40k thrust? Where?

Member for

9 years 4 months

The F-22 like requirement will dictate, the thrust you need. Are you going to get decent range and acceleration from a plane putting out 11k wet?

Member for

12 years 1 month

The F-22 like requirement will dictate, the thrust you need. Are you going to get decent range and acceleration from a plane putting out 11k wet?

He wasn't trying to engage in a serious discussion... he just wanted to hit his daily quota on F-35 bashing posts.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Errrrrrrr..... again, where have I mentioned the F-22-like requirement? Are you seeing things?

Member for

13 years 8 months

Chinese boards are saying right now
ahaha, japanese stealth cant carry weapons. china did it first years ago!

From what I understand, the X-2 can't carry weapons though, or at least it has no weapons bay. Nothing wrong with that -- it's a stealth fighter demonstrator, not a stealth fighter or even a stealth fighter prototype.

Funnily enough I remember back on this very forum when J-20 first emerged, people were saying it didn't have a weapons bay...

Member for

12 years 7 months

From what I understand, the X-2 can't carry weapons though, or at least it has no weapons bay. Nothing wrong with that -- it's a stealth fighter demonstrator, not a stealth fighter or even a stealth fighter prototype.

Funnily enough I remember back on this very forum when J-20 first emerged, people were saying it didn't have a weapons bay...

Pretty good reults in "Solange" tetsbed...