Amazing Weapons Loads - A-7 Corsair II

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 5 months

I too much prefer aircraft with dedicated roles, more specifically of the Cold War era, they have much more character.

Enjoy

i particularly enjoy aircraft where they use a common design to produce specialized aircraft. aka viggen, tornado, and you could argue flankers

Member for

19 years 3 months

Or the original F-18 & A-18 pair... before they decided to cram both missions into a common set of avionics, producing an aircraft with a slightly-reduced capability in both missions (due to a heavier airframe than either "single-role" version would have had).

Member for

11 years 5 months

Or the original F-18 & A-18 pair... before they decided to cram both missions into a common set of avionics, producing an aircraft with a slightly-reduced capability in both missions (due to a heavier airframe than either "single-role" version would have had).

are there pictures or specs of the dedicated f-18 and a-18?

Member for

13 years 11 months

One my dad flew.[ATTACH=CONFIG]217339[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

MadRat,

I don't think the Y-bracket would have looked right on the A-7, plus given that it's an attack aircraft, carrying more than two self defense AAM's seems like a bit of a waste to me.

19kilo10,

I love the A-7K...thanks for posting that pic!

Member for

18 years 1 month

Y-bracket was used mostly for rockets in actual operations, they just supported AIM-9 and it was a short path to the coolant in that location.

Here's another look at a mounted Sidewinder.
http://cdn.globalaircraft.org/media/img/planes/lowres/a-7_4.jpg

Member for

24 years 8 months

I always liked the A-7 due to its payload/range capabilities. Maximum external load was restricted to around 12'000lbs (?) at full internal fuel though, but that's still plenty.
Here's some operational loadouts from Vietnam:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]217341[/ATTACH]
8x Mk 82, 2 Sidewinders and presumably 2 fuel tanks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]217342[/ATTACH]
4x Mk 84

Try that with your F-16/F-18 :eagerness:

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

http://www.globalnewspointer.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/A-7H-161.jpg

TA-7C (or possibly TA-7H?) with an AIM-9P...pretty neat shot I thought.

eagle,

Some solid photos there.....the 4x Mk-84 load is especially menacing.

MadRat,

Love that A-7K in the top of your photo....always been one of my favorite Corsair II shots. (Oh and thanks for the reminder on the F-8's using rockets from the fuselage pylons........LAU-33's right?)

Here is one more, and although it doesn't really qualify as an amazing weapons load, it is a unique angle and it shows an ALQ-119 ECM pod on an A-7D (A-7K?)...the question is.......can anyone tell which pylon it's mounted on? (Outboard?)

Member for

18 years 4 months

Dunno about amazing, but interesting load none the less...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]217350[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

19 years 3 months

are there pictures or specs of the dedicated f-18 and a-18?

Since the merging came fairly early in the process of the redesign of the YF-17 to the F-18, there was little in the way of even artist's conceptual drawings.

The airframes and performance specs were to be fairly close, other than the weapons pylons (especially the two on the lower corners of the fuselage) being somewhat different. Originally only the A-18 was to have fixed payload stations on the fuselage corners, for FLIR & laser equipment... the F-18 was not expected to need the extra stations. The stations were redesigned to allow AIM-7 Sparrows to be carried for interception missions as well as removable sensor pods for attack missions.

The other main difference between the separate F-18 & A-18 designs was to be the avionics fit... the separate suites were replaced with a slightly heavier "dual-purpose" suite for the F/A-18A.

There was to be a few small (and undescribed) detail differences in the airframe to emphasize maneuverability in the "F" and payload lift in the "A", and these were eliminated as well, always using the stronger (and thus heavier) variant.

I have seen statements that merging the versions added around 500 lb to the empty aircraft weight, but added about 5% to the cost of each airframe, due to the increased complexity of the multi-mode avionics. Other airframe changes made during the pre-production development (mainly to decrease drag and increase control authority and structural strength) added about another 500 lb to the empty weight.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Going back on topic...

A rather interesting photo of a Hellenic A-7E with an AIM-9P, the LANA pod, and what I'm guessing is a GBU-16...not sure when it was taken, but it's a neat photograph to say the least.

http://koti.welho.com/msolanak/a-7e.01.jpg

Member for

13 years 11 months

Interesting image.[ATTACH=CONFIG]217502[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

Indeed that is most interesting. I've seen photos of A-7's with an ACMI pod on the outboard pylons, but never an actual Sidewinder. Anyone know if this was just an air show trick or if those pylons were actually wired for that missile? (Is that a Portuguese A-7P?)

Here's another shot of a USAF A-7D (From Myrtle Beach AFB I believe) with what I'm assuming are cluster bombs.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/051123-F-1234P-050.jpg

Member for

13 years 10 months

ACMI pods have nothing to do with any missile. They are telemetry pods that need only inventory on the jet, and they just happen to be built to mount on missile rails.

Member for

15 years 1 month

There is more interesting to see on that pic. Camo but with the navy style refueling probe. The USAF version used the other system. Or is this the USAF test aircraft on loan from the Navy?
Or this isn't an US aircraft at all?

Member for

24 years 8 months

It's a Portugese A-7P.

Member for

15 years 1 month

oh, Of course. Forgot about those. Thanks.

Member for

13 years 11 months

Its an image of a Portugese A-7P at a NATO Tiger meet. I thought it was an interesting image cause I have never seen an A-7 with sidewinders anywhere but the cheek rails. But now that I think on it......I cant see any real issues with their carriage on the outer pylons. Had just never seen it befor.

Member for

24 years 8 months

They are telemetry pods that need only inventory on the jet, and they just happen to be built to mount on missile rails.

Makes sense. I guess I just assumed they had to be put where something like an AIM-9 would go. Thanks for the info.

Interesting photo to say the least.