London Airport in the 1950s

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 8 months

Yes the Alcock & Brown statue is still at the visitors center. Never likes that extra deck in Longshots photo. It was built as extra capacity but you were out of luck with anything on 27R/09L as the newer T1 stands got in the way. By that time I had graduated to driving, and the delights of the perimeter roads like Cairns lane.

Member for

14 years

I'm pretty sure I took this photograph, probably some time in the very late 1950s on a camera that was the equivalent of a Box Brownie.

I've suggested 1958 and I'm afraid I do not know who that is on the right.

Attachments

Member for

14 years

This is not LAP but Stansted, probably also from 1958 but perhaps 1959, and it is a photo that I definitely took myself - sorry about the tilt!

Apart from the pleasure of seeing G-ALDE, the Hermes belonging to 'Skyways of London', and the wee boy who observes it taxiing, I include this picture to show the spectator facilities available there at the time. A wire fence, a few metal chairs and a rubbish bin. Maybe there were toilet facilities, too, but I don't remember.

Arrangements such as these were more the standard at airports back then - if any spectator facilities existed at all, that is.

No wonder we found those at LAP more congenial.

Attachments

Member for

14 years

Thank you to whoever resolved the photo uploading problem.

Here's a model of LAP's Central Area from the late 1950s, I believe:

Attachments

Member for

14 years

The key to the above is not too clear, so here it is in a larger size:

Attachments

Member for

14 years

I have some questions about runway use at LAP but, before that, a bit of background. I apologise to those who already know the early history of Heathrow but, for those who do not, here’s a brief synopsis.

Around 1930, Richard Fairey bought a 150-acre plot of land, adjacent to Cain’s Lane, from the local vicar and established the Great West Aerodrome. Fairey built and tested aircraft there and the RAeS held some garden parties there. It wasn’t long before Air Ministry officials regarded it as the ideal location for London’s main airport but knew Fairey would object, as would the County Council (it had located a ‘sludge works’ nearby) and the Ministry of Agriculture (it was productive land). Then along came WWII. Fairey wanted to expand the airfield but was rebuffed by the Air Ministry, which was developing its own plans. Under Defence Regulations, Fairey was, in 1944, ordered to quit and property in and around the site was requisitioned, ostensibly to build a new airfield from which RAF Transport Command could fly troops and war material to the Far East and help defeat the Japanese. This was never the Air Ministry’s true intention.

As part of the subterfuge, Heathrow was originally built as a ‘typical’ RAF airfield, with tree runways laid out in a triangular pattern, as shown below under construction in 1945 (an RAF photograph, I believe). I have numbered the three runways. Runway 1, the only one of the three completed by the time Heathrow opened to civil traffic in January 1946, is one of the two main runways now. Runway 2 was only 25% complete in early 1946 and I recall it being in use in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Runway 3 was 50% complete in 1946 and was not available when I started visiting LAP, as the central area had been built over it. Runway 3 had cost £350,000 (in mid-1940s money) but, apparently, there was never any intention to use it as a runway, which leads me to my question.

Does anyone know if Runway 3 was ever used for aircraft to land or take off?

Attachments

Member for

21 years 5 months

I can't answer about Runway 3 ever being used, I suspect not given central area building commenced around 1950/1.

Runway 2 was designated R23 and was in active use right up until October 2002, when it was withdrawn from use and the last aircraft ever to land on R23 was a SAA 747, ZS-SAU.

Member for

14 years

Thanks for the information, both. I didn't know that Runway 2 was still being used as recently as 2002 and the photograph of Runway 3 in 1946, used as 'overspill' aircraft parking is relevant to another question about runway use that I had in mind.

I have a copy of the Pitkin guide to London Airport. It has no publication date stated but, on the rear cover, there is reference to the "Roof Gardens ... (being open) ... from 1st May 1956", so let us assume the question is about runway use in 1955 or early 1956. The front cover had a drawing which showed aircraft parked on Runway 1, as though for 'spillover' parking then and a photograph inside seems to show the same.

In what circumstances would one of LAP's main runways have been used for 'spillover' aircraft parking ?

First the drawing (just the lower part and I've rendered it just in black and white) and the parked aircraft are towards the lower right corner:

Attachments

Member for

14 years

The photograph is less clear but the aircraft are there nevertheless, towards the upper left-hand corner:

Attachments

Member for

14 years

The grain on the photo makes it less than easy to see clearly. Here's the relevant section of the photo that I hope might be a bit clearer.

Attachments

Member for

16 years 1 month

Ian...28R Runway No1 was closed from about 1952 till 1955 while the road tunnel was dug by cut and cover. The eastern end was used for overspill aircraft parking from the Northside apron which BEA was using increasingly with Ambassadors and Viscounts and eventually all of their London ops went there when they had to vacate Northolt (Oct54?)...the passengers were processed in the modest Northside terminal then bussed to the temporary apron on Runway No1...BEA had several wooden huts adjacent for staff[ATTACH=CONFIG]260710[/ATTACH]
taken by R A Scholefield from a BEA Bristol Sycamore a few days before BEA moved to the Europa Terminal

Attachments

Member for

14 years

Many thanks, indeed, longshot. I never knew that and it was something that had intrigued me for quite a while.

Another question that has also intrigued me is the use made of Runway 4, which used to run from north to south across LAP, from the Northside to the Great South West Road.

The map below comes from a 1959 Ian Allan booklet. It shows LAP's runway layout in 1959. I have added the runway numbers, in red, at the ends of the runways.

The vestige of Runway 3, now that the Central Area is up and running, is only really clear at its northern end. It is not black and is shown only in outline form.

Runway 4 is shown in the same way as Runway 3, thus as a runway not in use and, broadly, this accords with my memory ......... EXCEPT THAT ........

.........on one occasion, I have a fairly clear recollection of a Constellation revving up at the other end of Runway 4, then coming towards us on the grass beside the Great South West Road, lifting off, clearing the boundary and heading out over Feltham.

This must have been around 1961 - 1963, I'd guess

Does anyone else recall such a thing - or was it ever noted as such?

Attachments

Member for

16 years 1 month

I've heard other accounts of runway4 (15L) being occasionally used for take-offs, perhaps not after 1960?..... might have been in other threads on Key or in 'How did Heathrow used to look?' on Pprune. I remember a Viscount landing on 23R about 1960 , by then unusual (conflict with Northolt?). Read Heathrow ATC by Piket & Bish (2005) for usage trivia, and Heathrow by Ian Anderson and Heathrow by Charles Woodley are rich in detail and less than £10. B-29 shot attached came via the defunct Heathrow newspaper 'Skyport' and has been identified as approaching runway6 (15R) over the end of the Colnbrook Bypass , perhaps 1949?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]260745[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

20 years 10 months

Anyone know what happened to the red P-51 Mustang Excalibur 3 model that was on the Queens Building rooftop gardens?

Member for

21 years 5 months

Ian...28R Runway No1 was closed from about 1952 till 1955 while the road tunnel was dug by cut and cover.

Correct.
Not just the road tunnel cut and cover though, but included temp works access for the duration of the construction of the new buildings in the central area. You can actually just see the two works access roadways running across from Bath Rd to the central area either side of where the tunnel was cut and covered.

Member for

21 years 5 months

B-29 shot attached came via the defunct Heathrow newspaper 'Skyport' and has been identified as approaching runway6 (15R) over the end of the Colnbrook Bypass , perhaps 1949

Hmmmm............interesting.

The line of that runway would have put an aircraft overhead the Bath Rd at the junction of the Bath Rd and Hatch Lane (easy to do in Google using the straight line measure tool) and those houses in the background appear to be the ones adjacent about 500m further west along the Bath Rd., which is a LONG way away from the centreline approach of runway 6 that close to the piano keys......unless that is a seriously crabbed approach, in which case surely they would have used a different runway.....!!???
Looking on an old OS map from just after WW2, there were no houses close enough to the Hatch Lane junction at that time.....very odd.

Member for

16 years 1 month

The houses match the group next to the Immigration Centre entrance opposite the REGUS hotel, as you say west of Hatch Lane...the B-29s alignment isn't so bad...maybe there was a crosswind and LAPs runway were wide :-)