Aircraft Hangar Identification

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

Anyone have any ideas about this one; width is about 30ft length 100ft, height 18ft, truss spacing 6ft (all dimensions approx) the roof is probably asbestosis, not sure of the originality, lower sides externally are curved tin and very rusty trusses are inverted T section.

Attachments

Member for

16 years 10 months

Looks like 30ft span Nissen, usually all corrugated steel construction with brick gables and steel 'T' section truss. Nice usable 'period' items if you find them in good nick. Generally used on airfields as offices, crew rooms etc, but on some camps even officers messes and ops buildings were comprised of these.
The Romney is similar, but generally had large opening door at end gables at no windows and used for airframe/engine maintainance and storage.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Thanks for that; would they have needed one as high as this (for a crew room etc), or wasn't that a consideration.

Member for

16 years 10 months

There are different spans, and it follows that there are certain heights (just over half span) associated with these, I think the 30ft (18ft high, like you say) ones were more for messes, dinning halls, Ops, and SHQs etc. The next size down was 26ft (crew rooms etc), and I think there was a 16ft span. All have 6ft sections between the ribs. As built they had internal cladding, usually of length wise running corrugated steel, or a fibre board of sorts, and externaly vertical placed, pre curved, corrugated steel.

Never heard of asbestos used for the external sheeting on Nissens, but may have been replaced with such subsequently.
There were Asbestos hut designs, notably by Turner, but this isn't one of those.

Can I ask, where is this one?

Member for

18 years 6 months

Thanks again; this one is in the depths of Suffolk, not on an airfield, and is the new home for the spitfire project.

Would the window frames have been wood or metal originally? unfortunately these are all shot.

Member for

16 years 10 months

You lucky so and so! I really do like these 'huts' and it is amazing to think that these simple structures were sometimes the wartime versions of the '30s grandios grand red brick messes.
I've never actually looked around a large Nissen but there should be plenty of good ones in Suffolk to compare bits. As for window frames, I would have thought they were metal in the same style as most MoD buildings of the era, although wood is used in the window and door 'relief' structures.

Are you moving it, or moving to it, and I assume you are opening one end to get the Spit in?

Memories of the Grace Spitfire in the TB hut at St Merryn, and a wall having to be demolished to get it out!

Member for

16 years 10 months

Here is a pic of the inside of an Officers Mess dance hall and bar area, the huge internal size is apparent here.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/pagen/St%20Mawgan%20Airfield/zScan10052.jpg

Have a quick guess as to when that pic was taken?

Member for

18 years 6 months

This particular building came with the house, so it is very much in situ; most of the buildings that I have seen, (including the one in your picture) have windows every other 6ft section, mine has been asssembled with all the windows down one side, continuously.

Access won't be a problem, as someone has thoughtfully provided a 12ft roller shutter at one end, and the project A/C will have folding wings which are about 11.5ft wide (folded).

Member for

16 years 10 months

Sounds good, the window arrangement good be anything the customer wanted, this also may have changed when the Nissen was relocated.

Member for

14 years 4 months

Here is a pic of the inside of an Officers Mess dance hall and bar area, the huge internal size is apparent here.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/pagen/St%20Mawgan%20Airfield/zScan10052.jpg

Have a quick guess as to when that pic was taken?

I think this pic was taken at Christmas time,,,,