WWII Bomber Command squadron codes - what font?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 3 months

I'm having a 1/72 model made of my Uncle's aircraft (Lancaster BIII, EE147, PG-P of 619 Squadron 1943).

The red squadron code decals (PG) came from the (Airfix 1/72) kit decal sheet, but we need to create a decal for the other "P" (other side of fuselage roundel). See model thread http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76475 and photo of not-yet-complete model below.

It will be immensely easier if we can simply apply a font to decal sheeting rather than hand cut it.

Can anyone advise what the font was? And was it also red .. or yellow?

many thanks, D

Attachments
Original post

Member for

20 years 3 months

BUMP

Have I asked a silly question? Maybe not phrased it correctly?

There are many here who have sufficient knowledge to debate whether a given paint finish is "correct" or not, and others who are intimately involved with painting or owning warbirds. I honestly thought this would be one of those "answered in 10 minutes" threads! :p

Can someone please tell me the correct font/text/whatever for the code lettering on the side of a WWII RAF bomber/aircraft. PA474 for instance?

I have done my homework, searched the forum and the web, and found all sorts of interesting things about Al Deere's aircraft and the like ... but I honestly haven't found the answer to this.

Many thanks in anticipation. Don

Member for

21 years 2 months

Have I asked a silly question? Maybe not phrased it correctly?
Hello Don, I think the question may be a little confusing but I will try to answer it. As I understand it you need a font type for the aircraft code letter P on a Lancaster in conjunction with a squadron code also containing a P. There is no known photo of the aircraft but you have made a good start and used ‘standard’ decal letters in Red for the squadron code.

I would say that there was no fixed ‘font’ as such for these code letters, bomber, fighter or any other. Generally the height of letters and often the stroke width was defined but the actual style of letters was not rigidly defined and tended to vary from unit to unit. Early war fighters often show great variation in styles as orders changed rapidly re-defining heights of letters, later on things settled down a bit but there was still a considerable variation in the ‘squareness’ and overall proportions of letters. Unlike the Americans, the RAF tended to stick with radiused corners to letters rather than the chamfered corners often seen on US types and this is certainly one of the characteristics that is common to most examples.

Back to your model – I would suggest you simply mimic the P you already have in the squadron code and yes it would in almost 100% probability have been Red, same as the other letters. If you had a picture of the aircraft in question or one of the other aircraft on the squadron you would be able to make a better job of replicating any idiosyncrasies it might have had but in the absence of this I would say you will get a fair result on this basis.

Member for

24 years 7 months

You could get another Airfix sheet and use the P from that.

Member for

16 years 9 months

I suspect that the reason you haven't had an answer is because there isn't one. Fonts belong in the printing industry and are only defined and registered in a printing context. Aircraft would have been sign written. There may (I repeat may) have been guidance published by the ministry. As it would be directed at RAF ground crew it would have comprised a grid of squares with the letter superimposd. In much the same way as the DfT used to define the lettering for traffic signs - and may still do for all I know.

Since you appear to be only looking for a 'P', wouldn't the pragmatic solution be to acquire a second decal sheet similar to the one you have used? Or is it not that simple?

Member for

21 years 2 months

Well there you are Don - three responses inside a minute!

Member for

20 years 3 months

THANK YOU

Wonderful, thanks Mark V and others. My 10 minute challenge well and truly exceeded! And yes, I reckon another decal sheet is the answer. cheers all, Don

Member for

20 years 3 months

... If you had a picture of the aircraft in question or one of the other aircraft on the squadron you would be able to make a better job of replicating any idiosyncrasies it might have had ...

Here's a well known late war photograph of a 619 squadron aircraft, LM446 (I thought I found the photo on raf.mod.uk but don't see it there now)

cheers D

Attachments

Member for

20 years 11 months

Back to your model – I would suggest you simply mimic the P you already have in the squadron code and yes it would in almost 100% probability have been Red, same as the other letters.

Put the question the other way up - While the individual aircraft code letter colour varied on occasion later in the war, generally the shape wouldn't vary from the squadron code - i.e. if there was a 'P' in the squadron's markings, then the aircraft's individual code 'P' would be the same shape. I'm sure there were exceptions, but generally, they matched.

Just an extra 'thought'. ;)

Member for

21 years 2 months

I have designed a set of 'fonts' for when I do my colour drawings. However they are not fonts as such, but outline drawings in Adobe Illustrator format that you can fill in with any colour and resize.

If they are of any use for you, and have AI to work with send me a PM and I'll send you a file.

RJC

Attachments

Member for

19 years 5 months

I used to use "Modeldecal" transfers when I had the time to build my aircraft models. They did complete sheets of codes, serial letters etc in various different styles, colours and sizes. They went out of business but the decals are still available through "Hannants" model supplies, who have an excellent website. They should have what you need to complete your codes, though it may be another make of decal that you have to use. Hope that helps.

Roobarb

Member for

17 years 4 months

Slightly on a different track, what font would be generally used for re-creating cockpit warning placards in British aircraft. I've had a stab at using aerial for our Stirling panels which are similar but not quite right. Any ideas anyone?

Member for

20 years 3 months

I've had a stab at using aerial ...

I think you mean Arial. And that's more or less Helvetica which is a long serving font much liked by designers (and others I guess) for it's simplicity of design and 'easy' reading/comprehension.

Thanks also JDK, airart and Roobarb.

Don

Member for

20 years 3 months

Thanks mhuxt, that's spot on ;)

Member for

18 years 6 months

No worries gnome. Never actually used that site myself so really wasn't sure whether it was what you were after or not.