London Science Museum - Aviation

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 3 months

When they removed the Castle and Deltic, they had to remove all the exhibits between them and the back entrance then roll them out on rails.

I assume that the aircraft must also have to be taken out through the back entrance.

I ran out of time to see the aviation section in 2002 when I went up there as part of my A-Level D&T studies. I saw the Apollo capsule though :)

Regards,

Dan

Member for

19 years 10 months

When they removed the Castle and Deltic, they had to remove all the exhibits between them and the back entrance then roll them out on rails.

I assume that the aircraft must also have to be taken out through the back entrance.

I ran out of time to see the aviation section in 2002 when I went up there as part of my A-Level D&T studies. I saw the Apollo capsule though :)

Regards,

Dan

Surely they have to be craned in through the roof somehow, yes I saw the Apollo capsule, thought it was magic even if it allegedly never went to the moon, not my opinion, my favourite is the Babbington computer, they were restoring it on my last visit, amazing piece of kit, try sticking that in a Typhoon.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Probably improve the Typhoon! Talking to a chap from RAF bomb disposal at the weekend and apparently the RAF had 8 typhoons lined up for the Queens Flypast and four went tech -they envisaged the requirement for 100% reserve backup!

TT

Member for

20 years 5 months

Pete, do you mean the Babbage Analytical Engine - if so, I am disappointed that I missed seeing it when I did a quick whizz round in January. Science Museum, IWM Lambeth and HMS Belfast all in one day! That's what comes of living in Sweden!

Member for

18 years 3 months

The whole museum is great, to be fair. The space section is also interesting. Don 't miss out the national history one, next door.

On the other bank of the river, the War museum has some neat stuff as well. A V1 and a V2, a Spit, can't remmber all...

Member for

19 years 9 months

The whole museum is great, to be fair. The space section is also interesting. Don 't miss out the national history one, next door.

On the other bank of the river, the War museum has some neat stuff as well. A V1 and a V2, a Spit, can't remmber all...

I think you mean the Natural History Museum.

Member for

18 years 3 months

YES!! the national gallery is somehing completely different altogether

Member for

18 years 7 months

The Shorts SC1 and the P1127 should go to Cosford along with other the experimentals, come to think of it the 'Flying Bedstead' too.

Regards,

John.

Member for

20 years 7 months

The Shorts SC1 and the P1127 should go to Cosford along with other the experimentals, come to think of it the 'Flying Bedstead' too.

Regards,

John.

Quite agree John! I hate what they've done to the SC-1! As far as I know, the Science Museum and RAF Museum have never done any deals, but as both are Government owned perhaps an MP could help? I know that once the Science Museum get hold of something, it's theirs for life!

Member for

20 years 2 months

I'm not sure who 'owns' the P1127, it used to be in the RAF Museum.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Science Museum Aviation Gallery - I love the subjects but hate the way they are displayed. They have some fantastic rare subjects (No-one has mentioned the Fokker EIII yet) yet the gallery is dark and dingy.

They could improve the whole thing by painting the ceiling a lighter colour, so that you could see the aircraft hung from the ceiling - the Pteredactyl is easily missed.

The Supermarine S6B is oftem climbed on, and last time I was there there was a kid hanging from the nose wheel leg of the P1127!

Oh, and that Hurricane is the sole surviving (I think) fabric winged example

Member for

20 years 5 months

Science Museum Hurricane

Just checked through all my Science Museum photos and couldn't see the Pterodactyl anywhere! For future reference, and my next visit, which aircraft are underneath it?

Member for

20 years 11 months

Erm...
It's the aircraft in the left upper background of your shot, PL. The one with the red Pterodactyl painted on the side... ;)

Member for

20 years 5 months

Aha, I was looking for the Armstrong Whitworth flying wing Pterodactyl!!!
Telle me more about the one in the Museum, then, please, James (or anyone else).

Member for

18 years 3 months

The Supermarine S6B is oftem climbed on, and last time I was there there was a kid hanging from the nose wheel leg of the P1127!

Its the same in the railway section, when I visited my classmates were amazed that they could touch the original 'Rocket'. Obviously the Science Museum is taking the new 'Hands On' experience to every exhibit!

Dread to think what damage this might be causing to historic airframes like the S6B.

Regards,

Dan