Any Luftwaffe experts out there.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

Pete,

From the Essex Aviation Group's book:

"On Sunday 3rd August 1941 No 52 OTU at RAF Debden lost two Hurricanes due to a mid-air colision. Both aircraft were Mk1s (serials R4101 and W9149) and were totally destroyed by the crash with the pilots, Sgts Wiliam Flemming and Ian McDonald both being killed.

During September 1982 and August 1983 the Group recovered the majority of the fuselage, engine and wing centre section from one of these aircraft, including 4 machine guns, and selected items from this crash now form one of the more significant displays at Duxford. Unfortunately it has not been possible to identify which of the two Hurricanes has been recovered from this crsh site at Great Sampford."

Sadly the EAG's hut at Duxford is no more... So where the stuff has gone I know not.

Given that there seems only to be thee and I left in this thread, do you think we should post the Wellington story in a new thread and see if someone can come up with chapter and verse?

Adrian

Member for

19 years 10 months

Pete,

From the Essex Aviation Group's book:

"On Sunday 3rd August 1941 No 52 OTU at RAF Debden lost two Hurricanes due to a mid-air colision. Both aircraft were Mk1s (serials R4101 and W9149) and were totally destroyed by the crash with the pilots, Sgts Wiliam Flemming and Ian McDonald both being killed.

During September 1982 and August 1983 the Group recovered the majority of the fuselage, engine and wing centre section from one of these aircraft, including 4 machine guns, and selected items from this crash now form one of the more significant displays at Duxford. Unfortunately it has not been possible to identify which of the two Hurricanes has been recovered from this crsh site at Great Sampford."

Sadly the EAG's hut at Duxford is no more... So where the stuff has gone I know not.

Given that there seems only to be thee and I left in this thread, do you think we should post the Wellington story in a new thread and see if someone can come up with chapter and verse?

Adrian

Ron Hawkins has a full acount of this Wellington story, I'm sure it was published in the Villager, possibly with a photograph, I'll see what I can do.
I have a good story that Sir John RB told me.
He showed me a stained glass screen in Spains Hall and said that he came back from a visit to London and found it in pieces on the floor. Apparently the first F-100's had arrived at Wethersfield and did a very low pass over the house causing some damage.
He noticed that the take off path came right overhead and complained to the commander of the base.
The response from our American friends was that he was invited to the base and taken up in a 2 seat F-100 in order to select a new flightpath, he said he found the experience rather stimulating!
His Home Guard colonels uniform is still hanging on a hook in the kitchen.
The last aircraft I saw take off from Wethersfield was a C-141 Starlifter that ignored Sir John's flightpath, probably finished off the Royal Doulton.