“Small biplane” crash

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 8 months

BBC local news is reporting that a small biplane crashed in woods at Stonor near Henley on Thames resulting in fatal injuries to the pilot and passenger. The identity of the aircraft is not known but I am assuming that it is Historic.

Original post

A Pitts I believe.

Member for

11 years 8 months

Yes, you are right. According to a report in the Sun today it was a Pitts S-2A out of White Waltham piloted by Emily Collett an instructor with Ultimate Aerobatics. Her pupil was Tom Castle. They were practicing spins when the two seater came down in a field near Stonor in Oxfordshire. Both were pronounced dead at the scene. The AAIB has recovered the wreckage to Farnborough.

Emily Collett had taught Carol Vorderman some manoeuvres in the same aircraft.

Profile picture for user DH82EH

Member for

11 years 5 months

My heart aches for the families and loved ones.
Deepest sympathies.

Andy

Member for

5 years 8 months

I witnessed a similar accident off St. Michaels mount some years ago, also in a Pitts. I believe the cause was due to either a loose object or an unapproved fitment for it.

Member for

19 years 8 months

RIP and condolences to friends and family.

And to answer the question raised in the original post, yes, the Pitts is certainly historic.
First flight in 1944.

The crash off St Michael's Mount was a Steen Skybolt, its fire extinguisher exited the aircraft and was found on the roof of a pub in Marazion.

Member for

10 years 11 months

Many condolences to all concerned. A great tragedy as always when this kind of thing happens. As an aside I was quite surprised that no- one appears to have mentioned on this thread that Emily was a much valued member of the Great War Combat Team & wife I believe of Mike Collett, Ex chief pilot of Air Atlantique.

Member for

18 years 1 month

How sad for all concerned.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Many condolences to all concerned. A great tragedy as always when this kind of thing happens. As an aside I was quite surprised that no- one appears to have mentioned on this thread that Emily was a much valued member of the Great War Combat Team & wife I believe of Mike Collett, Ex chief pilot of Air Atlantique.

Different Mike Collet...

Member for

10 years 11 months

Different Mike Collet...

Thanks for correcting me on that Nige. I didn't realise we had two different pilots on the scene with the same name. My sincere apologies to all those concerned.

Member for

20 years 3 months

As a White Waltham flyer myself, accidents such as this are long-remembered, and the terrible loss of the Pitts crew now sits with a Tiger Moth, and and Stampe in the last decade. All hit the ground within 3 miles of Henley on Thames, all took two lives with them , and all spun to the ground. In 2005 Mark Walden ( BA, Concorde/747) crashed fatally in his aerobatic CAP222 on the edge of the airfield. Another spin. There are perhaps lessons to be learnt, but this thread is not the place for such contemplation.

Perhaps the most sobering realisation is that even great experience and competence will not guarantee that you will never beome a statistic. Emily Collett was at the top of the 'game' , but then so were Art Scholl ( accident whilst filming Top Gun 1982) and the renowned display pilot Stefan Karwowski, who were both lost in accidents when their Pitts failed to recover from spins.

Anyone who enters the aerobatic world does so with their eyes open, and makes a personal choice, and their right to make such a choice should be respected.

The price to be paid, though, can sometimes be so high, it is hard to bear.

Member for

5 years 8 months

The crash off St Michael's Mount was a Steen Skybolt, its fire extinguisher exited the aircraft and was found on the roof of a pub in Marazion.

You are quite right. Please forgive an old mans failing memory.

Thanks Blue Max, thinking of all of you affected by this accident.

Brian Lecomber wrote eloquently about very nearly spinning in after the entry to a practice knife edged spin went wrong in his Extra 230 and he inadvertently applied the wrong recovery aileron; and there was also the Yak accident in Germany a few weeks ago.

Member for

24 years 6 months

Greatly saddened to hear this. I have very fond memories of watching a Spitfire display at a Proms event at Stonor Park, and most years when we play cricket at Swyncombe we can see people aerobatting in the area.

RIP

Adrian

Member for

20 years 10 months

Seeing the human side of an accident,so sorry to everyone for their loss