Napier Sabre III engine !

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 3 months

Before his sad passing Paul Morgan was engineering solutions to make a Merlin run more efficiently and to begin production of new parts. He was also fascinated by the Centaurus and IIRC had already begun machining new sleeves in modern metal with a view to improving reliability.

TT

Member for

17 years 9 months

And if anybody had the facilities and knowledge to produce modern replacement parts, or even improved replacement parts, it was Paul Morgan; such a tragic irony, the nature of his passing.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Quite so - I think his next machine was going to be an A-26. Lovely bloke much missed. TT

Member for

15 years 5 months

If anyone has read the true history of the R-3350 -57 AM they will know that the issues suffered by the first of the mass-produced Sabres were nothing in comparison. The R-3350 almost bought the entire B29 project to a grinding halt, and indeed even as last as August 1945 Colonel Paul Tibbets refused to fly the Atomic mission unless his aircraft was equipped with specially modified engines. The Sabre once they understood how to manufacture the sleeves correctly only needed to be managed correctly, a task a few courts martial soon sorted out. A family friend flew some 60 missions from the Normandy beach heads and beyond without an abort, hardly the record of a poor engine.

Yes true...you'd be able to do it only if there was a need for upgraded Napier Sabre for instance for caterpillars etc.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tnapier-heston_racer.jpg?VziO3KZaaqWRmzTdvXHsYnFU49XQAnl3&itok=EyLgtYpJ.jpg Views:\t0 Size:\t11.0 KB ID:\t3858303","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"3858303","data-size":"full","title":"Heston J.5"}[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

16 years 5 months

Napiers eventually overcame the shortcoming of their engine sleeves by using the Bristol Engines' method of manufacture. This was to centrifugally cast and then satin hone them to precise tolerances afterwards - a method/process handed over by Bristol to Napier's as a goodwill gesture. There was a war on after all.

Bristol's had ploughed huge resources into perfecting the mass-production of the sleeve, this being crucial to the production, or not, of a reliable power plant (they built Hercules, Perseus, Taurus and Centaurus sleeve valve engines during the war). It is worth pointing out that the sleeve valve was, in many ways, far better than the poppet valve and seen as many as the way forward as piston engines output increased more and more.

The sleeve valve was far more tolerant of back-pressure (such as would have occurred with a turbocharger, though here in the UK we chose not to go down that path for larger engines) and it led, with the Hercules 264 in the Varsity, to the longest overhaul life of any piston engine produced before or since - typically 3000 hours.

Properly appraised and managed, there is no reason why the sabre cannot be a good and reliable power plant in a restoration. Its early troubles gave it an undeservedly poor reputation but, in the end, with all the bugs ironed out, it was one of the finest high-power piston engines in service.

With its continued use after the war and very limited application I'm always surprised that there aren't far more Sabre engines around than there are. Perhaps it was its large and compact size that made it such a good candidate for the scrapman's beady eye?

Anon.

Member for

15 years 7 months

Not that much of a goodwill gesture: as I understood it there was need for considerable compulsion by the Ministry/government before they gave any assistance whatsoever to a rival.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Not that much of a goodwill gesture: as I understood it there was need for considerable compulsion by the Ministry/government before they gave any assistance whatsoever to a rival.

From what I can remember, the compulsion was regarding NOT getting certain upcoming/further contracts if they didn't help Napier, so much for all pulling together for the war effort

Member for

5 years 10 months

I think the definitive account about the solution of the Sabre sleeve production issues is available in the book, I KEPT NO DIARY by Rod Banks, an incredible book! He gives considerable insight on this, and many other topics. Very well worth reading!

V

Member for

9 years 11 months

DADE , Thank you for sharing those fab looking drawings , Are prints or copies of that manual available anywhere ?

Member for

5 years 9 months

Hi Ben,
This actual manual belongs to the Aviation Heritage Museum in Perth, Western Australia. I have talked with the manager of the museum and he wonders are there any people out there that would want a copy and how much would they pay for these copies as they are a private museum and any revenue goes to keeping it going. I see windhover has replied with a page of information about the engine. So maybe there are other manuals or an outlet that you can get this Air Publication 1810A Volume 1 from free. So again if there is nothing else out there, how much would be reasonable to pay for a copy + postage

Member for

2 years 8 months

Hi all.

I know this thread is some years old now but I am trying to collect information on the Napier Sabre engine. I am a member of AEHS which is a great source of information on Aero Engines.

I would be very interested in getting a copy of the Sabre engine manual that is shown on this thread.

I think if the museum scanned it in high resolution there would be a demand for PDF format copies. In this format there would be no need for post.

I would be grateful if someone could get back to me on this.

Best regards, Geoff