Merlin-engined motor cars

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 10 months

This car is the Napier Railton. normally on display in the club house at Brooklands Museum. It holds the outer circuit record (for ever now)
It was built there by Reid Railton and uses a Napier Lion engine. It did a run down Farnborough's runway at this years show as part of the Motor Sport display.
mmitch.

Photo:
http://www.brooklands.org.uk/Originalimages/Nr3.jpg

Member for

21 years

Nice pic Archer! Note: this car was in fact designed by Reid Railton and built at Brooklands by Thomson & Taylor Ltd.

Since first posting this thread, I've found quite a bit more about Jameson and the related aero engine and engineering companies. I have also established that the late Paul Jameson built one Meteor-powered car and one and a half Merlin-powered cars. The half-finished car was being built c1990 with some help from Autokraft/A C Cars at Brooklands, but sadly Paul died before completing it. He did get it running however, but I have no idea what then became of it....

Finally, I have heard that Paul was well known in 1970s/80s warbird circles and that several Spitfires made a flypast at his funeral which I believe was in the Dorking area c1990. Can anyone confirm this and which Spitfires were involved?

Member for

24 years 8 months

Carlielima5,

You might find a line of research in either Motor or Autocar. I am sure it was one of these that ran a competition to design/style a body for the six wheel Merlin car. This would be post July 1975 when I had circuited the the estate in the 'running' chassis.

From memory, I think the back end of two Mk X Jaguars were required to get the power down to the ground. :)

Paul Jameson - an engineer's engineer.

Mark

Member for

19 years 10 months

American talk show host/car nut Jay Leno has a 1938 Rolls Royce Phantom II powered by a Merlin. It was featured on a episode of "My Classic Car" a couple of years ago.

Member for

21 years 2 months

Did Jameson live in the Village of Outwood in Surrey, as I may have a lead on the whereabouts of the car.

Septic.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Did Jameson live in the Village of Outwood in Surrey, as I may have a lead on the whereabouts of the car.

Septic.

Septic

I have Brockamhurst, Betchworth, Surrey.

Mark

Member for

21 years 2 months

This chevy is powered by a Rolls-Royce Merlin :-

Attachments

Member for

21 years 2 months

Here is another picture of the Chevy with a Merlin :-

Attachments

Member for

21 years 2 months

In reverse are there any planes powered by automobile engines ??

Member for

20 years 9 months

Loads, lots of VW powered aeroplanes. Subaru engines are being used now, there are a couple of Porsche-powered aeroplanes. The Vimy had Chevvies and BMW truck engines. The Pietenpol Aircamper had a Ford V-8. There are a lot more, those are just off the top of my head.

MH

Member for

24 years 8 months

Your standard issue Lycoming (C152 / PA28) is basically a VW horizontally-opposed four.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 9 months

Your standard issue Lycoming (C152 / PA28) is basically a VW horizontally-opposed four.

Moggy

Only inasmuch as being a flat-four, they are not related in any other way. Itsabit like saying a Liberty and a V-12 Jag engine are the same! Looking at my aircraft piston engines book (just happens to be next to me as I work today) it says the forerunner of them all was really the Aeronca E-113-A twin. This was produced over here as the Aeronca-JAP. That was followed by the Cont/ A-40.

VW engines are, boy comparison, quite modern!

Melv

Member for

21 years 2 months

I vaguely remember that the Spitfire Prototype full size replica was powered by a Jaguar V12 Car Engine can anybody verify this ??

Member for

24 years 8 months

That's come as a surprise to me. I always thought the block was VW based.

Live and learn.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 9 months

That's come as a surprise to me. I always thought the block was VW based.

Live and learn.

Moggy

Someone have his sweeties stolen this morning?

as we all know the Jaguar V-12 is two V-8 landrover engines less a bit.

Member for

20 years 9 months

I vaguely remember that the Spitfire Prototype full size replica was powered by a Jaguar V12 Car Engine can anybody verify this ??

Yup, as I remember.

Someone made a Hurri I with a Jag in it so that it could taxi. I think that one is at Tangmere.

MH

Member for

21 years 4 months

VW engines are, boy comparison, quite modern!

Melv

I was under the impression that the VW 'boxer' had actually gone 'full circle' in as much that it was WW1 era, designed as an aeromotor and used later in cars. It's use in the Beetle(and others) was due primarily to the need to keep the vehicle cheap and easy to maintain- no plumbing for the cooling, no water pump or radiator to worry about.

Originally Posted by eddywinch82

Other car engines such as the Mazda rotary engines have proved popular in the USA. I think Peugot are working on a diesel engine based around one of their existing engines. Opel are doing similar in Germany as far as I know.
Motorbike engines are also popular, there are a few home/kit built Europas and microlights flying with BMW twin cylinder engines.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Someone have his sweeties stolen this morning?

I know you jest, do you?

Yes, the Clive du Cros replica was originally powered by a Jaguar V12. The reduction gearing was a substantial part of the cost. I don't believe it was ever changed but I don't know for certain.

Member for

20 years 9 months

I know you jest, do you?

V-engines are made in a long strip and cut to length and you, if you need to, you can glue them together again. After all, if you take two V-8s, glue them together and cut off a V-4 you can power a Jag and a Ford Corsair.

I thought everyone knew that.

Radials are just rotaries that were picked before they were ripe.

Sorry, nurse is calling . . . .

Member for

21 years 2 months

does anybody have any sound files of a rolls-royce merlin being used in a car ? such as the chevy 55 e.t.c ???