RAF Squadron Markings.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 2 months

3 Sqn A cockatrice, The badge of Wessex on a monolith representing Stonehenge (Larkhill).

John

Member for

17 years 10 months

Errr, re the comments above re 230 Sqn, they lifted the badge directly off a popular beer out there, namely tiger beer.
We used to say it was a tiger peeing up against a set of feeler gauges.

Http://was-sg.wascdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/TIGER-FULL-COLOUR.png

http://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/230squadron.cfm

29 Sqn has XXX which is 30, supposedly the person painting the badge on was told to paint xx and one x, which he interpreted as XXX.

Member for

17 years 10 months

33 Sqn - A Hinds head - They were the first sqn to operate the Hawker Hind.

33's badge IS NOT a Hind it is a HART.

Member for

17 years 1 month

The badge for 204 sqdn, a "Cormarant on a buoy" designed by T.E.Lawrence while stationed at RAF Mount Batten.

Member for

16 years 9 months

Hi Keith,
The story about 8 Sqd and the Magic Roundabout is well known, but have you got any detail good photo's ? Did the aircraft just carry the name or did they have a cartoon as well, also any ideas as to the serial tie-ups.

Thanks DOUGHNUT

Discussed with many pictures here

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?113742-8-Squadron-Shackleton-The-Magic-Roundabout-and-The-Herb-s-Characters&highlight=shackleton

Member for

11 years 6 months

29 Sqn has XXX which is 30, supposedly the person painting the badge on was told to paint xx and one x, which he interpreted as XXX.

This is of course a long standing legend and untrue, as is the "Triple X" extra strong myth.
Like many RAF squadrons between the wars, additional bars were added either side of the fuselage ( normally, but not always either side of a roundel) and across the top wings between the roundels. 29 Squadron's were red diagonal crosses ( not "X"s) . Examination of photos of their aircraft over the years shows variations of 2, 3 and 4 crosses on 29 Squadron aircraft fuselage sides.

Member for

14 years

As an extension to this thread.

Does anyone know where the Squadrons bar markings came from? Also where their designs and colours came from?

Member for

24 years 8 months

The 60 Sqn emblem is a Markhor, a mountain goat associated with Sqn operations in the Indian sub-continent in the 1930s.

Member for

10 years 11 months

360 Squadron

I seem to recall that the moth in 360 Squadron's badge depicts the species Melese Laodamia, chosen to represent the squadron's unique role of electronic warfare, as this particular moth apparently avoids predatory bats by jamming their prey-finding "radar" system.

Member for

12 years 1 month

I am currently doing some research on No. 35 Squadron post war markings, so the revision of this thread is quite timely.

I was trying to find out if there was an approval process for the post-war designs and, if so, what that process was.

Any thoughts would be welcome

Regards

Pete

Member for

13 years 3 months

The approval of aircraft markings were largely set down in Air Ministry Orders and Command Orders ( and later vestigies of these i.e. Defence Council Instructions). Air Publication 2656A laid out the basic requirements and instructions. IIRC this AP was first published about 1944.

For more info I suggest you contact the RAF Museum and the Air Historical Branch.

Bob

Member for

12 years 1 month

Thanks for the response. I have managed to track down some of the Air Publications regarding markings so I will have a read through as and when I get the opportunity.

Regards

Pete