Sunderland G-BJHS......Remember?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

Lockheed 1649 Starliner

This one was parked outside between a B-24 and a B-26, it flew in just a couple of months previous but that apparently was a story in itself as its airworthiness was a bit debatable.

Hi Archer,

I can speak on this plane this is one of the Three Complete 1649 Starlinners that Maine Coastway ownes. This plane is slightly historic, during its life with Lufstansa it was the West German Air Force One. It sat for many years at Ft.Lardurdale when the airport authority decide to clean up Rust Bbelt side of the airport they gave the owners three weeks to get her out.

Well six months later they start out for their trip to Maine, well just south of Sanford the whole right side main bus let go and at the same time #3 started spitting oil and #1 got a runaway prop indication so they declared an in-flight and land at Sanford Fla. Airport.At the time a FAA safety convention was going on so as you came geuss there were alot of questions.

About two years ago they decide to get her out so the owner work out a deal with Kermit to keep it their for 5 years. They sourced parts from the other two complete ones up he at Lewiston-Auburn Maine plusthe other parts from two firier dump wrecks from Alaska.

I saw her three days before the first flight trails and she does look alot better then she did back in the Sanford days.

Hope this helps

Cheers Crazymainer

Member for

19 years 9 months

Some great pics posted of the sunderland that used to be based here at Rochester..
My pics are at Biggin Hill 1990.

Attachments

Member for

20 years 6 months

...Hope this helps

Cheers Crazymainer

Thanks for that Crazymainer! It is interesting to know a bit more about the background. I did know that the owner (the name escapes me now) has two more but didn't know exactly how this one ended up at FoF. I do recall reading an account of the ferry to Polk City on the internet somewhere and if my memory works correctly I seem to remember some hydraulics issues on that trip too, coupled to a not too roomy grass runway it all sounded a bit hairy to me then. Still it is good to hear that progress has been made on her as I sure noticed some areas in need of restoration when I saw her in 2002!

Anyway, first lets hope that the latest hurricane passes over without problems!

Member for

19 years 11 months

Not too sure of where Crazymainer got his information from, but the following is the history of this aircraft:

This aircraft was originally built in 1944 as a Sunderland Mk III and later converted to a Mk V with the American engines. It flew with 3 different countries during the war starting with the British, then the Canadians, and finishing with the Norwegians. After the war, it was later used to haul supplies into Germany during the Berlin Airlift. It then saw service with the Royal New Zealand Air Force operating out of Fiji. In 1964, this aircraft was purchased by Australia’s Ansett flying boats to replace one that was lost moored in a storm. Converted to passenger use, it operated out of Sydney Harbor to Lord Howe Island, an island halfway to New Zealand. When a runway was constructed on the island, it was put up for sale with its companion, a 4-engine Sangringham flying boat. Famous Pan Am Flying Boat Captain Charlie Blair purchased both aircraft in the late 1960’s and flew them half way around the world for use in the Caribbean. After Blair was killed in a seaplane accident in the mid-seventies, the boats sat in Puerto Rico until they were eventually both flown back to England.

In February of 1993, Kermit Weekes purchased the Sunderland from Edward Hulton. Work on the Sunderland continued in England (Calshot) for the next 5 months. In July, Kermit and a crew of five flew the Sunderland across the Atlantic making stops in Ireland, Iceland and Canada. The Sunderland was flown directly to the 1993 Oshkosh Fly-In in Wisconsin and was left there for another year while the seaplane ramp was being constructed at Fantasy of Flight. The Sunderland arrived in Florida in August of 1994. In 1996, the Sunderland was flown to Sarasota, where it participated in the Olympic Torch relay to Atlanta by flying the Torch from Sarasota to Miami on the 4th of July.

Regards,
Richard

Member for

24 years 4 months

The first warbird (of not enough) I ever got on board! It was an open day at Chatham dockyard in about 1985-6 - certainly pre-hurricane of October 1987. The "tatty" interior is the one that was in there then - I distinctly remember that little bar, even if I was only about 14! So given that I think that Flypast has said several times that KW is going to rip it out and refit, it could be a lot tattier!

Oh to see her in the air again!

Adrian

Member for

20 years 1 month

Not the Suddy I was talking about the Starlinner

Not too sure of where Crazymainer got his information from, but the following is the history of this aircraft:

Regards,
Richard

Hi Richard,

I was talking about the photo of the 1649 that is a Kermits now not the Suddy. I know the owner and the three 1649 very well.

Archer,

The owners name is Mariauc Roundal,at the faciity here in Maine the other two are based along with a large size of of spars.

Cheers Crazymainer

Member for

19 years 11 months

My apologies to Crazymainer - I obviously got the entries mixed up.
(I had an overnight stop at Bangor in Maine on the 14/15th Aug. - while travelling to Florida when Hurricane Charlie hit - a very nice part of the country).

Regards,
Richard

Member for

20 years 1 month

Jeeze You could have called

My apologies to Crazymainer - I obviously got the entries mixed up.
(I had an overnight stop at Bangor in Maine on the 14/15th Aug. - while travelling to Florida when Hurricane Charlie hit - a very nice part of the country).

Regards,
Richard

Hi Richard,

How long did they hold you out on the Ramp? Did you get a chance to see the inside of the Terminal at all? Their is a nice display on the History of the Airport. Bangor was one of the main jumping off places for B-17 and b-24 heading across the Pond. Also during the Cold War it was home to the 75th and 76th Fighter Squadrons part of the 23rdFg. They also had BUFFS Station their.

Cheers Crazymainer

Member for

19 years 10 months

Anyone remember these? Departure Day

These were taken from the top of the Martello Tower.

Attachments

Member for

21 years 1 month

I've just made a start on clearing the loft and came across this photo of the Sunderland moored in the Pool of London.  From a bit of research, it would have been in September 1982.

Andy

Attachments

Member for

4 months 2 weeks

42 years ago, wow

Member for

13 years 2 months

I remember sitting in my office on the phone to a colleague in Liverpool when it arrived in London. The colleague was also into aviation and didn't believe me when I said I'd just seen a Sunderland flying over. I walked home over Tower Bridge and saw it sitting there in the Pool of London