Dakota Crash, Kai Tak 1946.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

I know this is straying off topic but whilst Googling around this subject I was looking at casualties from the Hong Kong Volunteer Defence Corps. Among them I found the following gentleman...

Private Sir Edward Alfred Des Vouex.

Remarkable in itself that a Baronet was serving as a Private soldier, but even more remarkable is that at the time of his death in December 1941 he was 77 years of age.

Which got me to wondering whether he was the oldest soldier, sailor or airman to die on active service? Of the 283 named casualties I can find for the HKVDC, I was somewhat astonished to find that, even given the Territorial Army nature of this unit, the majority of the casualties were over 30 with a good percentage in their 40's, 50's and 60's. A surprising number of them were also holders of University Degrees.

So, who was the oldest in each service to have died as a direct result of action or contact with the enemy?

I seem to recall Sir Arnold Wilson, formerly an MP, died as a rear gunner with 37 squadron, aged 56.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

16 years 9 months

Kev - again off topic - a friend of the family (family name Weir) - his father died in the defence of Hong Kong.

Many years later my father was in the Merchant Navy in Hong Kong - in harbour a local fell into the sea alongside the ship. No-one seemed to be doing anything -so my father jumped in and pulled him out. For years after every time one of the fleets ships came into port this local used to come down to see if my father was on board and if he was would come aboard and offer his services for any task in return for being saved years before.

Tiring of this - my father gave him the task of finding Mr Weirs grave in Hong Kong and putting flowers etc.. As far as we know he is still doing it.

Member for

24 years 8 months

I can't find a Weir killed in the defence of Hong Kong but one, possibly two who may have died in captivity.

It's an interesting story all round.

Regards,

kev35