Avro Anson VM325

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 9 months

:(

Tell me they're working on sorting her out... they can't be leaving her in a state like that.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Some lovely pics here, although sadly she's in a sorry state now.

In the first pic of her arriving at Halfpenny Green, there appears to be a number of dayglo panelled RAF 'Annies' parked in the background. According to Google, the RAF had already moved out by 1968, so who did those a/c belong to? They look a bit like those Anson's that were operated out of Bovingdon that I believe were retired in the late 60's, so perhaps they were stored at HG?

Member for

20 years 10 months

The Ansons parked at the back were owned by 'Tippers Air Transport'.

Tippers went to the wall at some point in the late 60's and the Ansons were dumped out of the way.

Eventually, the airfield owners had them bulldozed, but not before the air scouts were given free access to them for 'spares'.

I have an Anson spinner sitting under the table here as I write...;)

Nige

Member for

17 years 1 month

Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent Nige, but who were the Air Scouts?

Member for

17 years 1 month

Thanks for that, you would think there would be duplicity with the ATC, but I guess it dosen't have the Queens Regs, shouting, and marching up and down the square to worry about!

Member for

16 years 8 months

[QUOTE=Nige;1647214]No idea who the delivery flight crew were, the chap in the scout shirt and glasses was Gordon Emmanuelle, troop leader, the dapper chap in the suit on the left in the third photo was Frank(?) Flavell, chair of the scout group. Neither was involved in the later shenanigans...

[QUOTE]

Interested to see the picture of Frank(?) Flavell, he was a wholesale jeweller in Birmingham. His son son Roger learned to fly at 1/2dg. Anyone know if Roger is still around?

Planemike

Member for

20 years 10 months

Interested to see the picture of Frank(?) Flavell, he was a wholesale jeweller in Birmingham. His son son Roger learned to fly at 1/2dg. Anyone know if Roger is still around?

Planemike

Roger used to hire a Cherokee and fly the scouts on a Sunday morning, me included...
No idea if Frank or Roger is still around...

Member for

18 years 7 months

Fancy another project then Jon?

Bruce

Now there is an idea..... ;)

Jon

Member for

20 years 7 months

The Ansons parked at the back were owned by 'Tippers Air Transport'.

Tippers went to the wall at some point in the late 60's and the Ansons were dumped out of the way.

Eventually, the airfield owners had them bulldozed, but not before the air scouts were given free access to them for 'spares'.

I have an Anson spinner sitting under the table here as I write...;)

Nige

Thanks Nige.

Any colour pics (or B&W come to that) of the 'Tippers' Anson's? Dayglo always looks good on aircraft of that period.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Thanks Nige.

Any colour pics (or B&W come to that) of the 'Tippers' Anson's? Dayglo always looks good on aircraft of that period.

Found one here:::::: http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1220896/

Planemike

Member for

20 years 7 months

Found one here:::::: http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1220896/

Planemike

That picture has so much atmosphere. There is so much more going on in it than just the Anson's. Definitely captures a bygone era that I wish I could have experienced.

Lovely.

Oh for a time machine & a quality DSLR... :(

Member for

16 years 11 months

I can't find the link on the web now but when I was researching Tony Osborne - the original founder of the British Historic Aircraft Museum - I found a thread with lots of information about Tippers Air Transport.
They had advertised the Ansons for sale as Executive conversions and tried using one to ferry cattle to and from Jersey. I think the site said the max load was 3 or 4 cattle with the pilot climbing in through the cockpit window as there was no space to get past the cattle from the usual entry door. The Anson's career as a cattle freighter was very short as cow by products rotted all the fabric.
It also said that the main owner of Tippers was a farmer and many of the Ansons were stripped of their engines which were stored on his farm.
VL348 / G-AVVO is a Tippers Air Transport survivor. It flew into Southend in silver and dayglo and was impounded along with Tippers crew ferry Proctor G-ANZJ for non payment of parking fees. The Proctor went to BHAM and later to the Historic Aircraft Museum. The Anson was passed direct to the Historic Aircarft Museum and was passed on to Newark when G-AGPG was donated to the Southend museum by Ekco Electronics.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Well, G-AGPG may look rough, but at least she's in the dry, which is more than could be said when I saw her last at Brenzett in 1993 (I presume there weren't two E K Collins Ansons about?).

I don't even want to think about what would be needed to restore her.

Adrian

Member for

15 years 7 months

EK Cole, not Collins

Member for

24 years 8 months

Bother - so it is! Thanks for the correction!

Adrian

Member for

16 years 11 months

(I presume there weren't two E K Collins Ansons about?). Adrian

There were two Ekco Ansons but not two at the same time.
Prior to G-AGPG Ekco had used Anson G-ALIH. I am pretty sure G-ALIH ran out of hours so GPG was acquired as a replacment in the late 1960's.
The two aircraft swapped noses so that GPG acquired the radar nose and after a short time on the dump at Southend LIH moved to Newark with a standard nose where some of the local yobs kindly torched her. Ironically the replacement Newark Anson VL348 also came from Southend when it was disposed of by the Historic Aircraft Museum after GPG was donated to the museum when Ekco retired her.
The problems with GPG started when the museum cut staff numbers. As a result it became very difficult to keep an eye on visitors and someone slashed the belly fabric at the museum and the wind got inside and ballooned off much of the rest of the fuselage fabric. Unfortunately it was downhill from there.
The Beverley cockpit also suffered for the same reason. I can remember a time when the Beverley was only opened up when there was a staff member available to sit in the cockpit and make sure nothing got broken or went walkabout. It got extremely hot up there in the summer!
I was saddened the last time I went inside to find so much damage caused by a mindless few. I was told much of the damage, including smashing all the autopilot, had been done with the aircraft fire axe.

Member for

12 years 10 months

Tippers air transport

Hi, I am Nick Tipper, Tippers Air transport was my Dad's company, I remmember taxiing one of those Ansons when I was a boy in 1968, I still have some parts off them I think. We used to be at Coventry airport before Halfpenny green, I presume they were flown to Halfpenny green from Coventry. I always wondered what had happened to our aircraft. I think it was Midland bank that placed a lien on the 2 at Southend. Then presumably ran up parking fees. If anyone wants any info, I will try and remember.

Member for

17 years 1 month

Welcome to the forum, Nick. Having regard to the number of times the ex RAF Anson T.21s/Avro 19s have come up for discussion here, I suspect that there will be not a few members with not a few questions about the TAT Ansons! In the meantime, take a look at http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=87766 and at http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=109723. Hopefully you will find them of interest.

Hi, I am Nick Tipper, Tippers Air transport was my Dad's company, I remmember taxiing one of those Ansons when I was a boy in 1968, I still have some parts off them I think. We used to be at Coventry airport before Halfpenny green, I presume they were flown to Halfpenny green from Coventry. I always wondered what had happened to our aircraft. I think it was Midland bank that placed a lien on the 2 at Southend. Then presumably ran up parking fees. If anyone wants any info, I will try and remember.

Member for

12 years 10 months

Proctor

Thanks for the welcome, I have just unearthed the logbook for the Proctor
G-ANZJ, the C of A appears to have run out in March 1967.
I will see if I can find any paperwork for any of the Ansons. We used to have a blue one that we used for taking cattle to Turkey. I may have some photos as well.
This forum is fascinating!